1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video port primary settings?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DreadStorm, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DreadStorm

DreadStorm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have a GTX 970. I primarily use DVI port on it for my primary monitor, and have the HDMI pushed to the TV.

Trouble is, when I plug in the TV, it shifts the DVI port to secondary and makes the TV the primary (via HDMI).
    This, I do not want.

Is there a setting somewhere that'll either prevent the switch, or (if I choose to leave the TV plugged in) that I can manually set the DVI to be permanent primary?

The attached pic shows what I have to do to make the DVI primary when I leave the TV attached. As you can see, the desired monitor (DVI) is always noted as #2. I need it to be #1. I've tried adapters on different ports from the card too, but the display quality takes a dump.

This is driving me knutz. I've gone through the Nvidia control panel and can't find anything applicable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As it is now:
    DVI = Monitor, currently #2 (needs to be #1)
    HDMI = TV, currently #1 (needs to be #2)

Attached Files:

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    In the drop down, click on the display you want to be primary, then mark it as your primary display:

upload_2019-9-30_7-9-28.png

Windows 7 would be
    upload_2019-9-30_7-12-12.png

3. DreadStorm

DreadStorm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    Marking as primary will shift the desktop to to the DVI output. But it doesn’t make the DVI as #1 port. Mine is still#2.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice