1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video problem with DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jgiraffe, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgiraffe

jgiraffe Thread Starter

Compaq Presario laptop
    Windows XP 5.1 SP 2

Hi there, I searched around but couldn't find anyone else with my problem. Here goes:

For the past week, whenever I insert a DVD movie into my DVD drive, it gives me sound but no video. I have tried WMP, Real Player, InterVideo, and Quicktime. Same result everytime. Once with WMP, I got a message that said there was no DVD decoder detected, but the rest of the time there have been no error messages. Do I have to spend money on decoding software?

Again, this problem is recent and I've never had problems playing DVDs in the past. I should note that I can play video clips just fine. A while back I downloaded some codecs for that purpose, divx and xvid, and I've had no problem viewing video files that either live on my hard drive or that stream from the internet. So the problem is with DVDs only.

I have tried several different discs and I am using original copy discs, not burned copies.

THANKS in advance for any light anyone can shed here.

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy jgiraffe :)

Welcome to TSG! (y)

I think there may be a problem with our DVD drive. Check the inside of your computer to make sure that it is connected properly. Also if its a DVD/CD_+RW combo can you play cds?

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sounds like your decoder got hosed. Did you have any DVD Player software you installed at some time? If so reinstall it. A trial copy might also leave the decoder it installs functional.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice