Video Problem with Games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulboca

Just got a new computer from Dell w/3.2G processor, 1G RAM and lots of bells and whistles. Tried installing "Medal of Honor" and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein". Each program starts with the initial trademark screens fine, but when it goes into the graphics screens, I just get lots of vertical lines so that i cannot see the picture. Tried closing all processes and apps running and still same problem. Any ideas on how to solve problems. EA tech support so far has not been able to help. All other programs and websites load and operate just fine.

First of all i'd update the graphics card drivers and the motherboard chipset drivers.
I would also run DirectX Diagnostics and run the DirectX tests.
To run the tests click start > click run > type dxdiag > click ok > click yes > click display tab > now do the Direct3D and the Direct Draw tests. Posts back the results.

What model is the Dell?

paulboca

I have already run dxdiag and it's tests and they run fine. As to the video card and drivers, this is a brand new Dell XPS computer just received last month, but I did check the driver and it is up to date

If you can, take a screenshot when the problem happens:

• Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard
  • Quit the game
  • Navigate to MS Paint (Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint)
  • Go to Edit, then Paste
  • The screen capture appears on your screen
  • Go to File, Save As and save the image as a .jpg
  • Upload the image here as an attachment

I had vertical lines appear on almost every game beginning about a month ago. It began as infrequent and then gradually happened every time I tried to play, even sometimes when I was on the Internet.

I called Dell Tech Support (I also have an XPS) and they sent over a technician to my house with a replacement video card on Tuesday free of charge and since then, everything has been working again.

If your problem is similar to mine, and updating drivers doesn't fix it, then perhaps your video card is going dead. What card do you have? Are you under warranty?

You might just have a lemon card.

I called them on Friday afternoon, Saturday was New Year's Eve, Sunday was New Year's Day, Monday was a holiday here in Canada, and I got the card on Tuesday.

The guy actually came to the house, installed the new card and everything for me for free. No charge whatsoever. Fast too.

paulboca

Got an answer from Activision that apparently my new video card does NOT support 640x480 mode and to go into the wolfconig file and change the line "seta r_mode "3" and change the 3 to 5" Solved the problem for RTCW.

Now, is there a similar file in Medal of Honor???

corey19981 said:
no offence, but you shouldn't have bought a dell in the first place, they are crap!
Some are and some are not... it all depends upon the components. Thier service is the largest selling point, but out of the mix of machines out there... they are about middle of the road.

paulboca

Dell finally found the problem. I am using my old Gateway FPD1800 monitor and apparently it does not work with the new video card technology. When I plugged in a new monitor, game ran perfectly. So, I am asking ATI if there is anything I can do to make the monitor compatible.

paulboca said:
Got an answer from Activision that apparently my new video card does NOT support 640x480 mode and to go into the wolfconig file and change the line "seta r_mode "3" and change the 3 to 5" Solved the problem for RTCW.

Now, is there a similar file in Medal of Honor???
Why are you using 640x480? Your new card should be run at at least 1024x768 for the older games. Each game will have a settings category in the main menu, change the resolution in the game settings.

paulboca

On my old computer games like Return to Castle Wolf and Medal of Honor ran fine. Now, I get vertical lines so that screen is unreadable. Plugged in the newer monitor (20" wide screen) and games run perfectly. Giving new monitor to my wife as I like my old one. How can I get the new video card to work with my monitor. All other programs and games work just fine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online