1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video problem!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Avalan, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avalan

Avalan Thread Starter

Hope someone can help with this:
    Have vertical(pink) lines over my screen.They get worse if I move my mouse around. I cant reboot back to my desktop unless I remove the display driver from device mgr first.I formatted my hard drive,but the lines were still there when I was reinstalling windows.Also the fan on my video card is not spinning.Overheated maybe? Cause if I reboot with the card listed in device mgr, it wont get past the password screen,it locks up there.The screen locks,but the mouse stays free.
    Also since I cant reboot properly,Ive been unable to fully reinstall anything.
    All help greatly appreciated!! Thx.

Comp specs: AMD Athlon 950
    256mg RAM
    GeForce4 MMX 440-T
    Win98 SE

2. ajdupont

ajdupont

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    A couple of things you can try. Reinstalling the video drivers. Another thing is to shut everything down and physically reseat the video card. Maybe worth a try.

ajdupont

3. Avalan

Avalan Thread Starter

Thx for replying. I've tried reinstalling drivers, but since I cant reboot back to desktop,the installation never gets fully completed. It locks up at the password screen getting back.Then the only way back to the desktop is in safe mode,where I remove the display adapter from device mgr. Then I can reboot to desktop.But when I reboot back to desktop from safe mode,it "finds new hardware" and puts the video card right back into dev mgr! Im in a catch-22 here. I've also taken out the card,and put it back in again. I've formatted my drive, and reinstalled windows twice.Nothing.

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

a fan not working properly will give you all sorts of problems, get that fan working!.

also try setting your refresh rate higher.

5. Avalan

Avalan Thread Starter

To get the fan working I'll have to take it to a shop,Im saving that as my last resort,hoping it is a minor problem that I can get fixed thru this forum. :)
    Also,how do I reset refresh rate?

6. BTS '76

BTS '76

get to the display properties, by right clicking on your desktop, properties, click settings, advanced, and then the monitor tab.

this is how it is on XP, I think win.98 is a little different, but you should be able to navigate around and find it.

7. Avalan

Avalan Thread Starter

Nope,my refresh rate is set for maximum,I couldnt change it to default.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I think you figured out the problem here.........you're wasting your time otherwise.......and may even damage something else....depending on how hot things are getting around it.....

9. gl2528

gl2528

how can i post a new thread ? this the only way i can say anything on this website

10. Avalan

Avalan Thread Starter

Make sure you've subscribed to be a member,then click 'New Thread' at the top of a forum page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice