1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Problems...I think

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by syscrash, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Hey Folks,
    Well this is my problem. It's hard to explain and I never ran into before. But I have a blackish tint to my screen, also I have horzontal lines that are temporary that appear accross my monitor. If I go into a video game or DOS then this problem disappears. I switched monitors so I know it's not that.

Any suggestions.....need further detail. Just let me know
    Shaun

2. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, syscrash

TSG needs to know what OS are you running

if you please

3. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

LOL, sorry......it's windows 98second edition. Sorry about that.

4. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hey, syscrash

Go to start /Programs/Accessories/System Tools then

System Information & goto Components & click on

Problem Devices see if all is good

5. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Everything is good...... Do you think it could be a corrupted display driver.....windows driver that is. Because I checked my video card driver. I have a Nividia GeForce256 32Mb

6. brianF

brianF

Either reinstall your current drivers or download and install new ones from www.nvidia.com

7. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hey, syscrash

I would go with what brianF just Posted

Thanks brianF

8. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Okay I''m downloading the new ones now. I'll let you know what happens

9. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

That didn't work but I did find a new error message.

The C:\windows\system\3CRTOS.DLL file appears to be corrupt. Reinstall File.

Does this have anything to do with my problem? I couldn't find 3CRTOS.DLL in microsofts knowledge base

10. pons

pons

Hi, I'm not sure about the 3crtos.dll. but could it bo related to a modem?
    As for your vidio display;
    I have a Nvidia card also (32MB) and I found out that the latest drivers don't work well in WIN98. I'm using the 22:40 drivers at the present and they work well for me.
    If you change/update drivers you must first uninstall your all ones including the mentions in the registry.
    There is a program that will help you do it. It's called "detonator destroyer" and you'll find it at Nvidia's home page.
    Good luck
    sebastian pons

11. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Alrighty I'll download the destroyer and try your suggestions. I'm in the process of obtaining windows XP.

12. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

I still can't find that program anywhere on there on the website. Do you know where else I can get it.

How would I replace my windows display drivers......I'm going to try that......can't hurt. Well I'm sure I know how to replace them. But I thought there might be a quicker way to do it.

13. pons

pons

Hi, you may want to try www.guru3d.com

I hope you find it, it was there last time I was there. I advice you that if you use it, keep it handy because there are some problems with Nvidia drivers. Mainly you'll find incompatibilityes, and some games may not perform as you expected.

Good luck
    sebastian pons

14. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Well it's not those drivers.........I think it's the video card. I'm going to call Micron and order a new one. It's the only thing I can think of. I just attempted to reinsall windows......well I'm let's just say I'm screwed LOL But even with a standard VGA display driver it's still a problem. Also the fan on the video card has stopped. So that gives me an excuse to get an new one.

15. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Yea it's definately the video card....it's toast and I have a new one on it's way. Thanks everyone for your help. Now I have a new problem.

I reinstalled windows....just to get a fresh start. But my office programs, games, and other software is not registered with it. Do you know of any way to get it registered with windows again?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice