1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Problems in Pro/Engineer and AutoCAD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrl299, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrl299

jrl299 Thread Starter

I am currently having a problem with my video in Pro/Engineer Wildfire and AutoCAD 2004. In both of these drafting programs, the cursor skips when it is moving across the screen. It is not solid like it should be.

The computer is a Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 256 MB RAM, 36.4 SCSI hard drive, 32MB Matrox Millenium Video G450 video card and a Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 OS. There was no problem before I upgraded this computer from Windows NT 4 workstation. In NT4 the video was flawless. Certainly not in XP.

When I upgraded the computer, I installed the newest drivers. When I noticed the problem, I rolled the driver back to its previous version which did not work. I also have the video card set to full hardware acceleration. I have swapped the current video card with one just like it with no luck. I do not have a better video card to put in the machine.

Why would the video perform flawlessly in Pro/Engineer and AutoCAD 2004 while in a Windows NT 4 environment, but be skipping around in the same programs in a Windows XP Pro SP2 environment? Would a video card with more memory solve the problem? Are there any other steps I could try to troubleshoot and find a solution to this problem? Any advice I could get on this problem would be great.

Thank you.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If I remember correctly AutoCAD doesn't get along with XP/SP2 - it's a known problem. I'm not sure about the other program. You can search for XP non-compatible programs and I think AC2004 is one of them.

3. brite750

brite750

4. brite750

brite750

just saw this, get a real card that card is a dinosour and i wouldnt trust the drivers for it to work very well with XP, another thing to try is to turn off hardware acceleration in Acad display properties. Get a nice card ie a Quadro4 900XGL they are down to $200 range
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=778416&CatId=320

check to make sure your video slot matches whatever card you get, ie agp8x, pcie16x, etc

5. jrl299

jrl299 Thread Starter

I looked at both the Autodesk forums and the SP2 compatibility. I don't think it is AutoCAD itself that is causing a problem. I am running Pro/E and AutoCAD on other PCs with Windows XP SP2 with no problem. I only know of two drivers for my video card and I've tried them both. What kind of tweaking can I do on the settings?

6. brite750

brite750

because your card is old tech and probably not made to work with XP, have you tried turning HW acceleration off in Acad?

7. jrl299

jrl299 Thread Starter

I'll try this on Friday when I get back to work. Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!