1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video quality i

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by CastleHeart, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CastleHeart

CastleHeart Thread Starter

I have media player 9 on an XP platform.

Suddenly a month ago the videos went to crap and are just pixilated mush. :mad: I played around in tools/performance I told it not to use video accelerators. That worked ! Except it will now not run fullscreen :eek: - presumably because without the accelerators it can't handle it.

turn them back on and the video goes back to a kaleidoscope videos.

I noticed that I can play my saved mpegs and wmv's fine - it's just the new ones that are messed and it just started. I can't believe that every vid I have received in the last 3 weeks is some new format that requires a codec I don't have. I can go back and play ones received in January - but almost all from Feb won't run with the accelerators turned on.

I am unable to see anything different between them in their properties. Any suggestions?

I know I could upgrade to 10 but it would be nice to identify the culprit. And besides - what if I go to 10 and it still does it!

- Castleheart

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

It sounds like a codec issue the way you describe it. There are a number of tools that allow you to view/remove or analyse the codecs on the system. I can't recommend one off hand but maybe another member can. Have you installed any codec packs on the system before the issue started? Do you have any codec packs installed on your system at all? Most codec packs tend to mess up systems even the so called "lite ones." It's best to simply install the codecs you need instead of a codec pack.

One that does seem to be better then the rest is the K-Lite Codec Pack. It does have tools to remove bad/corrupted codecs on your system. It's worth a try if someone else doesn't have a better sugestion.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice