1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video streaming over the net...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PK-her0, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

a church has asked me to provide a solution for them to be able to broadcast their services over the net.

it must be portable, and will be servicing +- 30 to 40 online people...

will it require a web site? (As i would avoid this if i can)

there is a 7mb dsl connection in the church.

any suggestions please.

PK

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What's the upload speed?

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

prob around 1mb ...but we can upgrade if we need to...;)

4. zx10guy

You'll probably need to upgrade that service then. Most people are so fixated on the download speed of a service when they totally ignore the upload speed. In your situation, you need the most upload speed possible. You can do the math yourself and figure out what you need.

Start by figuring out how much bandwidth you're going to consume for one user connecting in to the video stream. This is dependent on the quality of the video/audio you're looking to run. Only you can answer this. So figure a very basic and rudimentary video stream of about 100Kb/s. Multiply this times 30-40 and you'll have your ball park bandwidth requirement minus any other ancillary network traffic you have going out to the internet at the time. You also need to make sure your video streaming server is sized appropriately to handle that many users.

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

thanks zx10guy,

but is there a software package that does this...or does it need to be coded (Web site)
    have you used anything...?

drop me a few names and i will investigate...

thanks ahead

6. s_gowtham

s_gowtham

try video streaming using VLC or just run Apache and then on the client side use flowplayer http://flowplayer.org
    I tried it out on lan .It worked well.

7. zx10guy

It sounds like there isn't anything there in terms of video capture. You'll have to figure out a budget for camera(s), video encoding and streaming, and bandwidth. I don't have any suggestions in particular.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!