1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Video stutter - recording

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by minimustangs, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minimustangs

minimustangs Thread Starter

Using OBS to record 1 of 3 screens. Playback of source is smooth as glass. Recording, whether to SSD, HDD, or network NAS all exhibit a stutter at about a 1 second interval, maybe more. Its very specific, the interval. repeatable.

OBS profile is optimized for recording only. For streaming I switch to another profile, but haven't been doing much of that lately because I can't trust the output file. Record status shows unremarkable information. CPU load well within limits, no dropped frames, nothing that would point to this. Playback of source file on any other machine will demonstrate the issue, so it has to be happening while the file is being recorded.

I've pretty much done everything I can think of to rectify this, and so far have not been able to.

Check out the latest 5 minute clip and you'll see what Im referring to.

Actually, its difficult to see the stutter here. youtube trashed the video quality. Nonetheless, my question still stands...

EDIT... If you view the youtube video, change the resolution to 1080, you'll see the stutter.

Any one have any ideas, or offer some help on this issue?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Can you make the video buffer size bigger? I think stuttering is caused by hardware struggling to catch up.

3. minimustangs

Hmm. I dont know if I can or not. Would that be though OBS? Their support, when they responded did not mention that. I have drastically chopped the frame rate of the source down...and the final rendered size, and it seems to be better, but its still there. I have a hard time accepting that its a computer hardware issue. multiple SSDs, 16Gb ram, 6Gb video ram. and when recording the CPU load is between 3 and 8.5%... Lots of headroom

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Moving/writing data wouldn't use much cpu anyway. I wouldn't expect cpu usage to be high unless the machine was doing some kind of video processing. So low ram and cpu usage only indicate that the program itself doesn't have much overhead. How much data are we talking about here? What are the typical file sizes?

5. minimustangs

Initially I was trying to create videos @ 1920*1080... these were recordings, not streams. The stutter effect is showing up in the recording before they get uploaded. I've done a whack of test recordings, making a variety of adjustments. I'm using hardware encoding of my 1060, and the latest [email protected] 720p is better, but there is still a stutter.

File sizes vary, I typically don't create files larger than 20 or 30 minutes, but a 24 minute video was 1.2Gb. Since adjusting down to 720p and reducing the frame rate these sizes are drastically less. MY GPU is only 25% committed while playing replay and recording. I see to have lots of headroom. The issue shows no matter which drive I record to: HDD, SSD, or NAS. Changing output location has no effect. So it has to be in the processiing...

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Try using cpu instead of gpu.

7. minimustangs

Goinig to mark this one SOLVED..

The solution was to delete all the saved scenes. There were references to media sources and files on one of my NAS drives, and even though I wasn't using that project or that scene, the asset was being called. The difference was immediate.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

S~

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice