1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video tape stuck in vcr ?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by neofan3, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

It still plays, fast forward and reverse but I can't get the tape out; every time I click the stop/eject button it rambles a bit then turns off. I did as online instruction and removed the top cover but still can't remove the tape.

I know the vcr is cheap but I don't want to lose it or buy a new one. I have some forty tapes of old movies that I sometimes watch. I do have a dvd ( PS2) but have never rented one.

2. Abriam26

Abriam26

Apply some lubricant?
    Also look for something that may block the mechanism..

3. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

1. I applied (Allsop) cleaning solution to the tape and ran FFand REW but has not worked yet.

2. with the top opened, there is still something over the tape so I can only see part of it. So I have not figured out what blocks the tape.

4. LucaMeredicci

LucaMeredicci

Not knowing the exact sound it makes, but going from "rambles a bit" it sounds like the mechanism that ejects the tape is either broken or damaged.

5. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Does the tape get put back into the cassette when you press eject? It is normally threaded through some guides and around the drum which is all inside the VCR cavity, but outside the cassette.

If it doesn't get unthreaded neatly and into the cassette then the tape may be snagged on a guide.

6. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

No, the tape is ok. I still can play and FF and F REW. I just can't eject it.

7. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I don't think you understood my comment. When you press eject and watch the inside of the machine, does the loop of tape go back into the cassette?

8. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

When I pressed eject, first the tape went in the cassette then it went out ( probably engaged ) and the machine turned off.

9. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I suspect that the loop of tape is threaded around the wrong side of one of the guides.

It's the kind of thing a tech needs to see to be able to fix...

10. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

Can I just cut the tape?

11. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

That could be an option. Try and cut it where it enters the cassette on the left and right sides.

12. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I got the tape out by turning something on the right side of the tape. New problem: can't run a new tape.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice