1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video transfer problems/cables?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by purpmtnphotos, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purpmtnphotos

purpmtnphotos Thread Starter

hello techies. im trying/needing to get my old footage from sony trv-120 to laptop for editing.have acer aspire 5810tz,it only has 4 usb ports.i need ieee1394 firewire,4 pin to4/6pin?do i need a card ,adaptor,gizmos or gadgets, programs?i believe vista is ready to accept sony info.ive read using usb for transfer would mean loosing quality of video?would rather not loose any quality if avoidable.pretty new to the techieworld here(diditaliterate),so would love a simple fix if there is one out there.ive seen the ieee cables for super cheap but my acer has no ports...???help/thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I think you are going to have a problem with that laptop as it does not have firewire or an expresscard or PCMCIA slot to take a firewire card
    There is a USB to firewire adapter available - but the reports I have seen say its quite low quality and also the firewire to USB cables do not work because of the transfer speed
    Do you have any other PCs at all
    OR you can borrow

4. purpmtnphotos

thanks tech support guys,even though its bad news ...now i know. yes this is our only unit/twas a gift.if i had purchased i wouldnt have purchased anything i couldnt use for editing my goods.i have no ports for fire wire or cards. phoey.was on w/ sony this a.m. and he says to ask acer how to hook up.of course they are closed the next few days...we'll get it soon i hope. thanks.

5. antimoth

antimoth

You might look at a DVD recorder. They are usually well under $100 and most have a firewire input which you can use to copy your Sony tape to DVD. You're shooting digital 8 anyway, which is out of date relative to current digital methods, so the recorder will be adequate.

You can get PC software to read/edit the DVD's, but quality will suffer with successive transfers/edits etc.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Wrong ... The transfer will only take a little longer using USB.

7. antimoth

antimoth

And there are boxes like this from Pinnacle. It's USB to your Laptop and looks like it has a firewire port to connect your camcorder. You get some version of the dreaded Pinnacle Studio software with it too. That would cost $50-89 by itself if it's the current basic Studio 14. Perhap it's a lite version with features greyed out.

http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Systems-82301006771-Studio-MovieBox/dp/B00392LYF6/ref=pd_cp_sw_1

Actually, I use and like Pinnacle Studio, but it can be software to be dreaded.

I've also believed that USB conversion boxes degrade the video, but that comes from gear sold a few years back. These would do on-the-fly compression to various MPEG formats, which can be pretty coarse and degade details. Perhaps the newer hardware has faster chips that do a better job.

8. purpmtnphotos

thanks to antimoth and others for the 2 cents.will probably end up w/ the dvd recorder method ,seems simple really.100 bucks is more than a cable wouldve cost but if its the only way to view my old goods, ive gotta do it.im not shooting w/ this cam any more but its the only thing ive got to play them back.the lens is scratched so its been retired.time to come into the new decade .why would acer even make a unit w/ 4 usb ports and no firewire,when everyone and thier grammas are using digi cameras these days?grrr. thanks again,till my next silly question.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    To Keep price down , as you go up in specification you find things like firewire , express card slots, bluetooth, all being added

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice