video Upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pblair

I need to upgrade The video in our family computer. The kids cannot play a game they recieved for Christmas. ( it needs 64mb on the video card) I am new to this but I know there are compatability issues to consider. I like our home computer because of its stability and do not want to sacrifice that. I believe the system is made up of:
NVIDA RIVA TNT2 model 64
32 mb
AGP bus

Pentium 4 SSE-2
1.4 Ghz
256 mb ram

I have not actually opened up the box to see what manufacturer the mother board is but This computer is a stock Sony PCV-RX550

Any help is appreciated. I want to upgrade but I do not need high dollar graphics I want to stay within a reasonable price range.

Paul

you have a 2x/4x agp slot, not sure a 4x/8x will work right, the 6600gt needs a lot of power has an additional 4 pin molex connection on the card, most of these types of cards have them and require a 350watt min power supply, although i did get by for a couple of weeks with a 300watt Antec psu until the new one showed up.

pblair

I found a e-Ge Force FX 5500. It lists AGP 8x/4x usage. Any thoughts on this one. I am concerned about the power usage though. Others mentioned this problem with doing an upgrade.

SirKenin

Banned
Stay the hell away from those FX video cards. They are crap. :( If you are looking in the low end, look towards an ATi Radeon 9550. I can't point you to an online source, but I checked one of my cost sheets the other day to find out it is still available to me for a very good price.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online