1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video wont display more than 640x480x16 colors.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Breadie, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

I have a 32MB Diamond Viper V770D Ultra NVIDIA and I can't seem to get more that 640x480x16. When I change it to higher resolution and color depth and restart my computer it just goes back to 640x480 and displays an error saying the I have the wrong video adapter for my hardware or the resolution and color depth I selected are not supported by my hardware. I know that I have the right adapter and I know it can support higher than 640x480x16 (checked documentation)

I've tried doing the following things to solve my problem:

• Reinstalling my Video Adapter
    • Tried refreshing my video adapter
    • Tried updating drivers for both video card and monitor
    • Reinstalled Windows 98SE
    • Checked if I was going into VGA mode

If you know how to help please post a solution.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Did you delete the display adapter from the system properties under deviice managers, before you reinstalled & rebooted & then updated drivers?
    If there is more than one device listed delete both/all.

Savvy :)

3. Rockn

Rockn

Also check to see what monitor driver is being used with your video card. Look under the advanced settings and select the monitor tab. If it is set for standard monitor type of Standard VGA (640x480) it will never give you any other choice than 256 colors at the most.

4. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

Yup I deleted it from the device manager, thats what I meant by refreshing the adapter. And the monitor driver says Dell P991 so its not the standard. So I still need a solution.

5. Rockn

Rockn

Do you by chance have netmeeting running at startup? Look in the systray and see if there is a NetMeeting icon in there.

6. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

7. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

When you cleared out the Display Adaptor in Device Manager did you do it while in Safe Mode or in regular mode? If you did it in regular mode then try going to Safe Mode and checking the Display Adaptor there - look and see if it shows more than one. If it does you bave Ghost Drivers - delete all and reboot into Normal Mode - it will automatically reinstall the video card when you do. Hope this helps. :)

8. brianF

brianF

change your video adapter over to std vga and reboot, try installing the drivers, if it doesn't work go here http://www.guru3d.com/files/ download, and run the detonator destroyer to remove all traces of drivers from your system. Read the readme file that is included.

Make sure bios has the option to assign irq for vga enabled, agp memory to half system memory or 64 meg minimum

9. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

4 Computer Fix: Still didn't work.
    brianF: First suggestion didnt work and I'm downloading detonator destroyer right now. I'll post if it works.

10. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Is this a new video card or one you've had for a while? In other words - did this thing work at one time and now doesn't or never has worked right? If it did work at one time - when was last time it worked?

11. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

brianF: Using Detonator Destroyer did not work it still wont change.

4 Computer Fix: Yes it has worked before, it stopped working yesturday when I was affected by the Nimda virus. It stopped working when I restarted after I changed something in msconfig trying to get rid of the virus. I selected Selective startup and it went into 640 by 480 and then I changed it back to normal startup and it just went back to 640 by 480 after I had restarted. OR maybe the virus did something, not sure. :confused:

12. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

I have been working on fixing this problem for 7 hours straight (seriously) and tried everything. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem?

13. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

So we're down to this:

It worked fine until yesterday.

You got the Nimda virus and tried to get rid of it. SDid you try to get rid of it yourself or using a program to do it like the one I pm'd you (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]).?

Have you installed anything before it stopped working?

Have you tried using scanreg /restore ?

14. Breadie

Breadie Thread Starter

Umm...I think I installed a game demo.

And no I haven't tried scanreg /restore how do I use it?

15. brianF

brianF

check this

go to start/run/type msconfig and press enter, press the advanced button on the general tab, do you have force 640 x 480 x 16 checked from yesterday eliminating the virus

I beleive that setting is in there

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice