1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Videos cause shutdown

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Robert1, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

When I try to watch a video on my machine, I get an error message in red on a black background, the the machine shuts down before I can read the message.

The machine restarts and I do get the following error report as part of the automatic programmed report to Microsoft:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

And a message implicating the following files:

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0714.dir00\Mini041510-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0714.dir00\sysdata.xml

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this problem?

Thank you,
    Robert

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

check how much memory is available in the machine while showing the desktop also cpu % if on the high side then you have to find out what is causing the excessive use of resources..
    also video card installed may need update drivers. check in device manager for any conflicts of devices
    as you don't give any details of the system resources the machines running very hard to organize a fix

3. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Thanks for coming back to me Badbak.

I'm sorry I should have included more info. My machine is a laptop MDG VisionBook, running windows XP.

I found the device manager: I see in there a large yellow question mark beside the Other Devices and indented slightly and directly below another large yellow question mark beside Ethernet Controller.

Would this be causing the problem? I am under the impression that the ethernet controller is a hardware device used for networking purposes. Since I am wirelessly connected to a high speed modem I don't know that I need this device, tho' other members of the family in the house also connect to the same modem, again all by a wireless. But I don't know that these additional computers in the house would be an issue with the ethernet controller.

Can I safely disable this item?

Since my last (and first) posting, I've found that certain websites also seem to cause my system to crash. If these websites are, like the video processor, demaning greater resources, you are probably right. But I need additional help to figure out how to check the memory and how to access the 'desktop'.

Again, thanks for coming back to me. By the way I saw something that made me think you are a resident of Australia. Very beautiful country. I was there for a month in 2007, visiting my brother who lives in the Brisbane area.

Robert

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

in device manager right click on the device in question click properties and check the setting for that device also check for conflicts. if the device in not installed correctly and is not required disable it.
    at the desktop ctrl+alt+del to bring up the windows task manager check in the performance tab.to see cpu and memory resources in use..
    may be your web browser is faulty easy way to check is install mozilla firefox and try it out.
    Also set the auto updates from microsoft to manual setting find it in services through admintools/computer management

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice