1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Videos on hard drive don't play smoothly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saturable, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saturable

Saturable Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    Hi everyone,

I have laptop with both an HDD and SSD. My SSD works fine with no problems: that is, when I play videos on it, they play smoothly. However, on my HDD, they'll play, but then they'll freeze randomly for 2-5 seconds and then continue playing. This occurs on all of my video playing applications (such as VLC or Movies & TV), and I don't understand why.

I had this problem previously, but it appeared to be fixed when I turned Link State Power Management off both in my OS and Intel Rapid Storage Technology settings. The issue also affects music playback. It has also affected some games from running properly, but I have yet to test those again.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring? Do you suggest any diagnostic or benchmarking programs?
    Thanks!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is this the Titan that had the liquid spill ? If not what's the make and model ?

3. Saturable

Saturable Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    Yes, but the spill has nothing to do with it. It only affected the keyboard.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  5. Saturable

Saturable Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    I'm still using it, as it still functions without the LEDs. However, this problem has occurred previously prior to the spill. I'll try the diagnostics.

6. Saturable

Saturable Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    Alright, I ran a Short DST three times and it failed all three times. I think I recieved a faulty hard drive, but luckily they are really cheap to replace. I disabled my antivirus as well, but still it failed. Is it time for a replacement? Because I spilled on this, I'm not sure of CyberPower will replace it due to me voiding the warranty, even though the drink had nothing to do with the hard drive failure.

7. MightyMiroWD

MightyMiroWD Western Digital Representative

Hi @Saturable!

I'm sorry to say that, but since the HDD failed the diagnostic test three times, then it will be best to make a backup of all your important data and look for a replacement unit. If the hard disk is still under warranty you can contact the manufacturers support and arrange an RMA.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

8. Saturable

Saturable Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks! I don't know if they'll allow an RMA since I had a liquid spill earlier (but it didn't damage any components other than the keyboard.) However, a new 2 TB hard drive is only $70.00, so they're really affordable. I'm certain that this is faulty, and I'll contact them anyway. Maybe they'll be lenient but probably not.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    What test software did you use ? (Just curious).

Good luck with the RMA request.

10. Saturable

Saturable Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mark
    The one you suggested: SeaTools. Interestingly enough, I ran another test today and it passed. This HDD is weird, and I requested an RMA and it was approved. However, I emailed them today asking to cancel it because hard drives are really cheap and I'm thinking about buying a 2 TB one instead. This way I can keep my old one, transfer the data over easier, and then get rid of it.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If it passed the short test I would try the long test now, could take a long time though so maybe do it overnight.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice