1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vidio Loss at boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Schwaby126, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schwaby126

Schwaby126 Thread Starter

When I press the power button on the computer the monitor will not start up. I have to turn off the computer using the power switch on the back then restart and then the monitor will recieve a signal?
    Info:
    Video Card: Blaster riva tnt 32
    Monitor: Philips 107E
    Processor: AMD 900mhz, Thunderbird
    Windows 98SE

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how to solve it?

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

What power supply do you have in the machine? A lot of problems like this with Athlons seem to be related to the p.s. They dont seem to be able to supply both the cpu and the video card with enough power when you cold boot. The AMD web site has a list of approved power supplies, and I know they recommend at least a 300W unit. You shouldn't have to use the switch in the back, just hold down the power button on the front for 5 seconds, it should turn off. I have solved some similar problems with a new power supply, but I should mention that on others this didnt help. I had one that had that problem, along with a few others. I was never able to track it down, and neither could the tech at the place I got it. He finally gave me a new mobo, case and hard drive, and it went away. Any other problems with the system? If not, you might be able to live with it, just leave the machine on most of the time. You can turn the monitor off when you are away from it, it will use very little power like that

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You may want to update the monitors drivers as well. Not sure this will help but it sure can't hurt.

Savvy :)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Schwaby126, welcome to TSG....

Just a thought, you have the monitor turned on first, correct? Then power to the computer second?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Rec'd PM from user.....monitor is being turned on first......sorry for the delay in posting the PM.......faster if you'll post your answers back to the thread :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice