View Wireless Network Properties from the Command Line

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

des000

Is there a freeware program to view WZC profile information from the command line? I found one that allows you to display the profiles themselves, however to display the profile properties I haven't found one.

I could also use direct registry edits if I had to, using the reg command. The problem being, that it would appear that the information is stored in binary format, which I've got no idea how to even manually pull the profile name from. The only thing that information seems to give me, is the abillity to later manipulate the order of the networks, that is maybe. I don't need that part yet, but will later on. I guess, since viewing the profiles is so slow, direct registry edits "might" be preffered. This is WZC I'm concerned about, not any third party utillities. I'm using Windows XP, and it's SP2 or later.

des000

Researching further, it looks like nobody knows how to pull the information from the registry. I've got Windows XP, so netsh wlan won't work. It looks like this is leaving me now with 2 solutions to get some of this information.

Solution 1: Use some kind of programming API to get the information and display it from the command line. I've therefore heard that there seems to be an interface called the WZC native API. If that's true, how would you use it in AutoIt or in a BATCH file or in a VBScript? I've never used anything like it before, so I need detailed explanations of what the code does, except for that doesn't mean I need to know all the internals of every function. But I need to know how to use it. I know BATCH files well, but I don't really know the full VBScript or AutoIt languages, though I can make some of it's code out anyway.

Solution 2: Somehow maybe use AutoIt in another way to read the properties from the dialog box. I know from research that this is probably possible, but I don't know how to do it. And what I need to do, is hide all that visible clicking going on, even if I'm doing some clicking. That is - hide it from the end user. It's nice to see it moving on the screen, but I'd rather not see it if I were the end user, in this case.

Now keep in mind, that at this point, all I'm trying to implement in these programs, is a way to do exactly what you can already do in Windows XP by default (but it has to be compatible with Windows XP Home, Pro, and MCE), except for from the command line. This is just one small part of a larger picture. I'll then be able to use that command in my other parts of my code that I need it in. So my general rule that I need to follow, is if you can't do it in the Windows XP dialog boxes, you can't do it in this program. If you CAN do it in the Windows XP dialog boxes, you CAN do it in this program. But everything is from the command line, in the end result. If Windows XP already provides a command line, which in this case it doesn't, I should use it. If that's not possible, I should use the registry, but I guess that's not possible if nobody knows how. If that's not possible, I guess I'll try to use a VBScript, and if that's not possible, I'll try to use AutoIt. But the end result is a command line program.

I hope this starts to get me down the right track. It took this weekend to find this information so far.

des000

Since I'm now regretting not giving enough information on what I'm trying to do, here's a link to the explanation of what I'm trying to do, as well as my previous progress. I created two seperate threads though, because basically, these are two seperate technical issues. I could've created a thread on this subject that was meant to be more general, but then I'd end up with a very, very, very general thread in the end, which in turn might have to lead to whole subjects just dedicated to the issues I'm having, which wouldn't be a good thing in the end. That's not what these things are meant to be, which is why I didn't try to do it. If I had, it would also take hugely away from these threads as well, because it would be too much information.

Here's the link then, to the last part I was working on, which DOES tell more information that you might need though: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/773334-solved-windows-icf-firewall-registry.html

des000

So according to this link: http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t63368.html, they had a script that does a great deal of what I wanted. I was able to download it, and then read to understand it, and then basically rewrite it from scratch to do what I wanted.

I added several "show me commands" from that code, which are good as is. But back to my command for showing WZC profiles, now it does it's calculations right. But these are meant to be calculations, not output. So what I'd like to try if possible, is to hide my calculations from the user, by somehow hiding the windows.

Well, I'd found a start, which was at this URL: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=44145&st=0&gopid=815948&. Perhaps this will lead me in the right place.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online