1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

viewing ALL PROGRAMS in win xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by che, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. che

che Thread Starter

I moved a few programs into :/C/PROGRAMS folder but they won't show up in ALL PROGRAMS list what am I doing wrong? it used to work with win 98 .
    Thanks for your input:confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

You should move the programs to the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder and then create a shortcut for each .EXE and .COM in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\PROGRAMS. To create the shortcuts there are many methods. One way is to open My Computer or Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\PROGRAMS and the folder you would like your applications in. Leaving the folder expanded now navigate to the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder. Right click a .EXE or .COM file name and hold down the mouse button, now drag and drag it onto the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\PROGRAMS. A menu will be displayed select Create Shortcut. It's easy then it sounds, just take your time.

3. che

che Thread Starter

Thanks Dan only one problem the program I'm trying to move to the "all Programs" list Is "paint shop pro "and there is no .EXE or .COM file in that folder ,(I'm surprised windows didn't put it there when I originally installed it )
    Thanks again.

4. Dan O

Dan O

You should create shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\PROGRAMS, do not copy or store .exe or .com there. Older programs like "paint shop pro" don't know how XP is laid out, newer one will install properly. When you install an older application it is added only for the user ID you are logged on as. You can correct this problem by using the instructions I provided.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!