1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewing ALL Search Results at Kingston Website

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by brispuss, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

Results of searches for compatible memory at Kingston website only displays some compatible memory by default. In order to view ALL search results requires clicking on "view all" button or text.

Problem is, more often than not, all search results are not displayed, despite waiting for a couple of minutes or so for data to download. Data transfer seems to be taking place according to internet status monitor, but once data stops, nothing further is shown!? And refreshing web page makes no difference.

Running W7 SP1 64 bit with dial-up internet connection (which doesn't help).

This occurs regardless of browser used (Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Chrome).

Tried clearing browser cookies and cache. Javascript enabled for all browsers. Pop-ups blocked but Kingston and some other websites added to exceptions.

On odd occasions all search results are displayed (after clicking on "view all"), but it is not clear why sometimes all results are displayed and yet most of the time all search results are not displayed?

Any ideas? Any solutions (apart from going on broadband, as it is unaffordable at present)?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what sort of service are you using ?

3. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

I'm on dial-up (56k), as mentioned in my original post.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Solution would be to go on at odd hours. Pick a time when most of your country would not be on the internet.
    Example: I tried downloading a large file (I'm on a fast cable internet connection) twice on Saturday. It appeared that it would take more than 2 hours.
    I cancelled each download and decided I would try early one morning. (I'm in the US Eastern time zone so if I try around 6am or 7am my time, most of the US isn't up and trying to download). I got the file in something like 22 minutes.

Another solution is to tell a friend on a fast connection to go to the site and take a screenshot of the results. He/she can then email you the results.

Third solution: get a netbook, laptop or tablet and go to a hotspot to view the Kingston site. You can save the page for offline viewing and study back home.

Fourth solution: use a public computer at the library and copy the page to a USB stick to take home and look at or send the page to a printer and pay for a printed copy of the page at the library.

5. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Minimum or no expenditure is preferred in obtaining search results (primarily because I'm not working and have very limited income). So obtaining any extra hardware, software, and/or services is not really an option.

The local library charges for internet access so that is not an option.

Tried various times throughout the day searching, but there is usually no success in viewing all results.

Searching at Kingston site may occur several times per day.

Asking a friend or neighbor (with fast internet connection) several times per day to do searches on my behalf and send me the results might be asking a bit too much. Maybe for a day or two, but not almost every day.

So it is still not clear why all search results are not being displayed though? Is it because of my slow dial-up connection? Or?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Probably.

I never heard of that happening.

Source: http://www.plinternetsurvey.org/analysis/public-libraries-and-community-access
    Obviously you are not located in the US
    Also
    That means you can bring your own laptop, tablet or phone and get on for free in over 90% of the libraries so you do not have to wait for a free library computer.

7. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

I'm not in the US. And I don't have (nor access to) a laptop, notebook, tablet etc.

Thanks.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. brispuss

brispuss Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments.

I don't have WiFi, so that is not an option. Again, the (nearest) libraries charge for internet access, so that is still not an option.

Doing memory compatible searches at Crucial also shows just a few results initially (similar to Kingston). And in order to view additional results requires clicking on "view more compatible memory upgrades". And to view all search results requires clicking on "view all results". And all results are indeed shown after clicking the appropriate text/button. So there are NO issues with viewing all search results at Crucial! The issues of not being able to view all search results seem to be confined to Kingston website only. That suggests some problem in website coding in how searches are conducted and how search results are displayed.

If Crucial website can display all search results despite my (slow) dial-up connection, then, in theory, Kingston website should be able to also.

I've actually contacted the webmaster at Kingston. Initial feedback from the webmaster was that I'm the only one who has mentioned this issue and that the slow dial up connection is probably the main cause of non display of all search results. The webmaster could not duplicate the lack of displaying all search results, but they were probably using a broadband connection. And because the error could not be replicated by the webmaster, and since I'm the only one who has complained of this, and because I'm on a slow internet connection, the webmaster stated there is little if anything that can be done until a lot of people complain and/or the non-display of all search results is replicated.

Awaiting further comments from the webmaster to my comment that all Crucial search results are displayed, despite my slow connection, so why can't Kingston search results do the same? Seems like a coding issue to me.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice