viewing digital pictures on your tv

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jssch

I would like to take pictures that I have taken with my digital camera and downloaded to my computer and make a CD/DVD that is viewable by my parents(kids grandparents) on their DVD player and TV.

Is there a way to do this?

I have a DVD+/- burner.

The only software that I have is Kodak Easy Share.

Most of the (cheaper) DVD players are quite happy with a simple CD full of .jpg images, they will display each one until you press the "nect" button on the remote.

No special software is needed on many players I have seen.

The limitation is usually the player itself, in that not all will recognise CD-R, not all will recognise CD-RW, I have one here that seems to recognise everything (a very cheap player) and another more expensive one that will only recognise some brands on CD-RW.

The best answer is just to copy the photos as .jpg to a CD-R or CD-RW (or both) and try it. Remember to orient the pictures first, portrait mode will show sideways, the TV does not understand unless the image has the correct orientation when burnt.

jssch

What about DVD+R or -R?

Should all DVDplayers play DVD+R?

Is there a free software program that someone can recommend to make slide shows adding music etc?

You may want to try Windows Movie Maker. Just import your photos, drag them to the timeline and add sound. It should do exactly what you want to do and it's free. Then burn the finished movie to DVD.

DVD-R may be more common than +R, but again it totally depends on the player and what it will recognise. We cannot second guess that.

The player should state compatability in the manual.

jssch

Would there be a list anywhere with the brands and the types of DVD that are compatible?

I burned the DVD and played it on both of my players at home, one a Sylvania and one a Mintek.

I brought it to my parent's house ( 3000 miles away) and they have a Sanyo, it would not play it. This was on a DVD +R. I went and bought a DVD - R and burned another copy, and the Sanyo wouldnt play it either.

Both the DVD+R and DVD-R play on my laptop as well as my parents computer, but not on their stand alone player.

Does anyone know what kind of DVD I would need for a Sanyo to play?

Just hook up an S-video cable from you TV to your laptop and use one of the commercial viewing programs (such as Thumbs Plus). It works great.

Just make sure the pictures have a resolution of 800x600 or less. DVDs have a resolution of what, 764x480 or something? Pictures bigger than 800x600 tend to make DVD players take a long time to display the pic, or not display it at all. (This happens on my NEC player, and both of my LG ones).

jssch

Thanks for the site for the list Moby, at least I have a little something to go by now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online