1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

viewing faxed .tiff files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by suzi, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suzi

suzi Thread Starter

My office has just started sending all our faxes as emails, (I telecommute), which is great. One thing I can't figure out is this:
    When I save the fax to my hard drive, it is a .tiff file. I view it in the Windows fax and picture viewer and I can scroll through the pages of the fax and print it without any problems.

What I want to do is separate the pages so that I could print or email someone else just one of the pages instead of the entire file. I don't see anyway to do that. It is possible and if so how?

I tried opening it in Adobe Photoshop Elements but didn't find a way there either.

I'm using XP Home.

Thanks for any help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not knowing what application is creating the .tiff files, I would suggest they are one long "picture" file, with the pages laid end to end.

In that sense there is no separate "page" in the file.

If you can view it in Photoshop, can you not select the "area" of the page you want, and copy it to a separate file name?

3. slipe

slipe

It is interesting that it will print normally – if it were a normal long TIFF file it wouldn’t print the separate pages. So your Windows Fax Viewer must be seeing it as a fax. Have you tried to “Save as” from the viewer? Do you have a choice of pages?

To break the TIFF into pages download the freeware Irfanview if you don’t have it: www.irfanview.com It is a lot more versatile than the Windows viewer. Don’t associate any file types with it initially so your faxes still open in the fax viewer.

Open Irfanview>File>Open and find the fax. Use the + or – tools to get a single page where you can see the whole thing. Just drag a box around the page with your left mouse button. Go Edit>Crop selection. Then File>Save as. Make sure to use “Save as” rather than “Save”. I would save the page as a JPG if you plan to e-mail it. That way it is smaller but usually just as readable. I would keep the document name and just add the page number.

4. suzi

suzi Thread Starter

Actually when I view it in Photoshop Elements, I can only see the first page.

In the Windows fax and picture viewer, I can go from one page to the other for viewing. I'll try Irfanview later today. That sounds like it would work but I probably have keep them as .tiff files because that's what our system uses for the faxes.

Thanks and I'll post back what happens.

5. slipe

slipe

You will likely see only the first page in Irfanview as well then. It is obviously more than a simple TIFF file. TIFF is capable of storing layers etc, so evidently the fax program is making something more sophisticated than a simple TIFF.

Do you have access to the program your system uses to send faxes? If you can't separate out the pages with the Windows fax viewer I think the fax program is your best bet.

6. suzi

suzi Thread Starter

No, I don't have access to the program used to create the faxes. It's a national company... but I might try contacting their IT dept. and see if they have any ideas or could change it somehow.

7. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

can you do a simple print screen and then change the format to jpg or something to forward ??

8. suzi

suzi Thread Starter

Hmm - that's an idea. I didn't think of that before and it would probably work as long as the document is still legible.

Thanks for the suggestion.

9. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

if the image/page is larger than the screen you might need a scrolling screen cap proggy

buck

10. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

altho a bit of a time consumer !!

My Epson scanner came with a excellent OCR program which will allow me to scan a web document, or any document for that matter into word, exell or powerpoint, OCR has come a long way in the last few years, and it does a good job, might be another way to go if you want to forward or save as a common doc format...Rhett

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice