1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewing images in correct proportion

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chrisbeery, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisbeery

chrisbeery Thread Starter

Images on the net seem out of proportion. They seem to be shortened in the length proportion. In other words- a long sleek car seems pudgy.

Win 98 SE, GEForce 256 card, IE 6.0, desktop settings are 1280 X 768.

Is there a way to get a better image proportion?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Hi

Do you have a link to a specific image so we can see what it looks like to us?

John

3. chrisbeery

4. chrisbeery

5. bassetman

Well, on the tire one, I almost fell for the black fender above the tire as being part of the tire.

You didn't do the same thing, did you?

Otherwise they look fine to me.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

More than likely nothing to do with your computer...

More likely to be the camera lens and/or the camera angle when the shots were taken

The wheel is not round on my screen either...Draw a circle on a peice of paper then look at it at an angle. or measure the front wheel on the bottom picture

buck

7. chrisbeery

So, screen definition on the desktop has nothing to do with viewing images on the internet?

8. slipe

slipe

This is a shot taken with an extreme wide angle lens. Notice that things get smaller as the get further away from the camera at a disproportionate rate. http://www.ibistours.com/images/FishEye.jpg

The pictures you linked were taken with a milder wide angle lens. The effect is the same but less pronounced. Telephoto shots have the opposite effect.

Generally speaking telephoto shots look more natural if you view them from a distance and wide angle shots look right if you get very close to them. If you have good near vision the cars should look about right if you look at them from very close.

Screen resolution has little to do with that. A lower resolution would make the image bigger on the screen and it might look a little more natural.

If all of the images you view are out of proportion then you might have a problem. But photographers use whatever lens they need to get the effect they want, and they are going to show that way onscreen.

Post a screenshot of the Jag.

9. chrisbeery

I used to know how to take a screen shot and post it, but it eludes me now.

Also what is the effect of different proportions in resolution value?

e.g. I can choose 1280X720 or 1280X960 in my desktop property settings. Won't affect picture sizing?

10. bassetman

either prtscrn or alt+prtscrn and then Ctrl+v in an image program.

11. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

It's your resolution. Most pics intended for full screen use (such as wallpaper) are in an aspect ratio of 4/3. To view these pics properly, you need a standard VGA or SVGA resolution, such as 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, or 1600x1200.

When you view a 4/3 image on your 1280x768 screen, it will be distorted slightly. try 1280x960, and your pics will appear properly.

12. vesselle

vesselle

gotta agree. 1280x768 is like watching Wide Screen TV in the old days, when they stretched it weird so there weren't any black spaces above and below the picture image.

the ratio is just messed up enough for things to appear slightly scrunched and disproportionate. go for a standard monitor setting like 1280x960 instead.

V***V

13. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

1024x768 or 1280x1024

both are standard setting for my computer and the images look as I suspect they should...any small distortions or the wheel looking slightly out of round is the lens/camera combo and the way the images were taken

buck

14. chrisbeery

Thanks guys - Aspect Ratio - that's what I was trying to get at...

Basset - expound on the screenshot process please- while in IE, printscreen or alt printscreen does nothing obvious.

-so , the print screen shows how I see it; just pasting the web page for you to view on your computer uses your settings (of course). Got it.

changing settings now...

15. chrisbeery

That did it... 1280X960

and the wheels are now round again, not my imagination. You'd think on the display settings option, there might be some alert to this. Settings in correct web Aspect Ratio could be labeled "(standard)" or a dialog box to explain such to those (me) who change settings for the heck of it.

will check 1280X1024 for Buck and report...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!