1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewing Images in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by slorlkuk, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

When I use 'Windows Photo Gallery' to view files like .jpg's, the time it takes for images to load when I want to view them quickly is kinda slow. The images take nearly a split second or so to load when I am trying to go through a bunch of pictures. I was wondering if there was anyway to make it so that images load instantaniously when I click the 'next' button or press the 'right' key on my keyboard, perhaps changing some hidden settings or something. I have practically no background processes running (Sidebar disabled, Windows Defender disabled. I only have Nod32 running in the background, but that takes close to no system resources to run).

I have a pretty fast computer:
    ---------------------------------
    Running: Vista Ultimate x64
    E6600 [email protected] 3.375 GHz
    4GB RAM
    2x 8800 GTS's SLI'ed

The images DO load fast, but I want them to load instantly.

And a second question:
    Do any of you know of a way to play .gif animations in 'Windows Photo Gallery'? I can play them fine in IE, but unlike XP where I could just browse through a bunch of .gifs, Vista has to pop up a new browser for each image. I have third party software for viewing .gifs, but I wanted to use an extremely basic program such as 'Windows Photo Gallery', something like XP's 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer'.

Any help appreciated.

2. wilson44512

wilson44512

it might have some thing to do with the file size of the pic. if there large like something out of a high pixel camera. that can make it a little slower. i use faststone image viewer. its much better the windows viewer. plus you can adjust the setting in faststone and it works with many file formats. including .gif

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

[​IMG]

3. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

Yea, Faststone Image Viewer is what I have installed on my PC. The only thing I didn't like about the program is the amount of time it takes to initially load when I was using XP (I know it is a stupid reason, but that is my only problem). But to tell you the truth, I haven't actually tested it out on my Vista much at all. I have to check that out and see how well it works.

Thanks for the suggestion. (y)

4. wilson44512

wilson44512

i have had faststone on my other pc that has XP. and the one now with vista and i have had no trouble with it loading or or running slow. you might want to try messing with the settings. and make sure you have a check mark in were it says smooth and were it says filter put faster linear. and put a check in before show. it helps went your scrolling threw your pics

[​IMG]

5. slorlkuk

slorlkuk Thread Starter

Well, I tried out FastStone Image Viewer this evening and I was a bit disappointed. It seems that Windows Photo Gallery is faster at loading pictures than FastStone. I could put the images in a slideshow in Windows Photo Gallery and view them all very quickly. FastStone needed time to load the image and then smooth it out (if you don't smooth the image, it looks terrible).

I really appreciate your help wilson44512, I'll prolly use this program to view .gif images, although FastStone seems to be crashing quite a bit... Maybe its because I have x64 version OS?

Anyways, thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice