1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewing network computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DevryGrad, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevryGrad

DevryGrad Thread Starter

I need some help. I was using a router for my network. I out grew my 4 port router so I connected a switch to the router and now I am unable to view my workgroup computers.
    Here is the set up. Internet into router (wan port) then I have a single connection running from the router to the switch and then I have all of my computers plugged into the switch. No computers are hooked up to the router anymore. Why am I not able to see my workgroup computers? I am able to search for them and it will list their shared files but I cannot use My Network Places to view the shared documents. Please email me with any question or answers.

Thanks in advance.

2. danmcman

danmcman

Try checking your Computer Browser service. That needs to be running for Windows to map out who's out there.

1) Right click My Computer, select Manager
    2) At the bottom of the left pane, click the check next to Services and Applications, select Services.
    3) Make sure the Computer Browser service is set to Automatic and is Started.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What exactly happens when you do 'view workgroup computers'? Same on all computers?

4. DevryGrad

DevryGrad Thread Starter

Danmcman the service is started and running.

5. danmcman

danmcman

Instead of asking you what all is happening on all of those machines, I'm going to point you to one of the most helpful troubleshooting sites for XP networking ever:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Read his introduction on how to use this page and enter in your symptoms (there is a section about Workgroups and Sharing). Then if you scroll to the bottom of the page, he has a list of relevant troubleshooting steps for you to try. This has helped me more than once..

Please post back what you find :)

6. DevryGrad

DevryGrad Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help.

7. danmcman

danmcman

Did you get a chance to troubleshoot with the website I posted? How did it go?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice