1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewing Network Items

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StevenofNine, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevenofNine

StevenofNine Thread Starter

I'm preparing to set up my XBox to my W/LAN using a spare Belkin F5D7230-4 as an access point connecting to the Linksys WRT54G. The set-up will be something like this:

Cable - Cable Modem - WRT54G - PC

Laptop with built-in Wireless----

Xbox - Belkin F5D----

Belkin have supplied me with instructions on setting up the router as an access point, and mentioned needing to set it to an IP in the Linksys' Range.

Now, the Linksys defaults to 192.168.1.1, so can I set the Belkin to 192.168.1.254, or any 192.168.1.X?

Also, how can I see all the devices connecting to the network on one machine? For example, would I use the PC to see and identify the network devices: Router, Laptop, Belkin, etc., or would I use the Linksys' interface?

Thanks for any help, guys.

2. JCorkery

JCorkery

You can log into the Linksys, and look at the DHCP logs. It will show you all of the active DHCP Leases. It won't show up any static IPs. You can try something like "[email protected] Network Monitor". I googled it, and it looks like it will scan you LAN for nodes.

Jim

3. StevenofNine

StevenofNine Thread Starter

I have tried this, and I've jsut gone through every tab on my router's GUI. The only material like this I find is an incoming and outgoing connections log (not what we need) and the router table showing the connections between the router and the Internet/PC/Laptop.

But the addresses are not Network addresses 192.168.x.x, but 24.1.x.x, our Internet address from the ISP. Is this what I'm looking for? I can't find the DHCP leases anywhere.

4. JCorkery

JCorkery

I would give that program a quick try. ([email protected] Network Monitor) It should show all of te IPs local to you.

Jim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice