1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewsonic monitor turning itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonny p, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

I have a four year old 19" viewsonic monitor-just recently its started shutting itself off for no apparent reason. If I press the power button it comes on again-for a while. Tried it on a different PC and same problem

Is this a known fault with monitors and is it likely to be worth repairing I wonder?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Monitors break, it happens. Possibly a power supply issue. Worth fixing? Not likely when new 19" monitors sell for $99 and 20" sell for $129 with full 3 year warranties at e-tailers such as www.newegg.com

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

jonny p, if the monitor in questions is a CRT, I'd dump it without a second thought. If you have an LCD and you are handy with tools and a DIY person, you can buy a replacement inverter for this monitor for around $60-$70. Personally, I'd be looking at current monitor prices.

4. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

OK thanks for that feedback, yes it is an LCD guess I'll have to replace it but in that case may as well pull the old one apart to see if I can anything obviously failed/melted/burnt-don't know where to get an inverter but if I pull the old one out if theres a part number on it I could try googling it-I'm OK with basic soldering. Something do over a rainy Easter weekend I guess
    Thanks for the suggestion of newegg, I'll check out the prices-would like to go 23" if i can afford it.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its not the inverter then you are out a decent amount. Do you see a faint image on the screen when it happens or doe i go all the way off?

6. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

No it goes all the way off and the green LED on the power switch goes off too. However when you press the same switch it comes on again.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then thats not likely the inverter but something else in the monitor.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Triple6 is right about the inverter, it sounds like the monitor is protecting itself and shutting down completely. There is a protection circuit in the monitor doing it's job otherwise it would likely just blackout or dim but not completely power down. Once this happens it means you need a new monitor since you tried it on another PC. If you hadn't then it's possible a graphics card was at fault.

9. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

OK thanks for that guys

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice