1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Viewsonic VA721 Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdonovan1, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I have a Viewsonic VA721 monitor that I was using up until earlier today when the monitor started acting like a scrambled cable tv channel when turned on.

I was wondering if anyone might happen to know as to what might cause that, what the technical term for it might be and as to whether or not it can be fixed.

Up until today I have never had any problems with the monitor. Every time I would walk away from the computer for a while I would shut the monitor off so that I could avoid any burn in problems with it thereby preserving the life of the monitor. Because of that I have never had any problems with it until today and at the moment I do not know what could be causing the problem.

I tried the monitor on two different computers with two different cables and got the same result. I bought the monitor in 2006 brand new and up until today it has served me faithfully without any problems.

I don't know if it can be fixed or even if it is worth it nor do I know if it is something that I can fix myself or if I would have to have someone else fix it.

What I do know is if there is anything that I can do to fix the problem myself and restore it to active service then I might choose to give it a try.

Until I have more answers though I cannot make an informed decision about any of it and that is why I am asking.

I am hoping that there will be someone here that will know about such things and can give me some straight advice and information about the monitor and the problem that I'm having with it. If there are then I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

2. Sponsor

3. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

what op. system

is it the same in safe mode

4. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

The problem is not with the computer itself. It's with the monitor.

Like I said I tried the monitor with two different computers and with two different cables. The problem is obviously in the monitor. It doesn't matter what computer it's hooked to. The problem is still going to remain the same with that monitor unless I find a way to fix it, but that won't happen until it's properly diagnosed and a determination is made as to what precisely is wrong with it, and as to whether or not it can be fixed, how much it might cost to fix it, and as to whether or not it is worth fixing.

I hope that there is someone here that has the problem solving, critical thinking, and technical skills to help me figure this stuff out. There must be someone out there that has seen these kinds of problems with monitors before and can offer me some practical ideas on what might be causing it to act the way that it is and as to whether or not it can be fixed and if so as to what might be involved in fixing it.

5. dai

dai

have a look inside and see if you can see any swollen or leaking caps

6. buffoon

buffoon

monitors do go on the blink, you know. 9 years, 6 years, 4 years age, doesn't matter.

You seem to have ruled out any PC problems already, otherwise I'd have suggested to try a different monitor (if there's one around or you can borrow one) and if that worked the matter can definitely be put to the old monitor.

Does it have settings buttons on it?

Sometimes an unfavorable combination of settings on the controls there can disrupt image. Image size and image positioning (inadvertently altered at some time) will skewer display sync with the PC.

7. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

It does have some settings controls on it and I have played with them trying to fix the problem, but that did absolutely nothing to resolve the issue. I did get another monitor that I know works from my mother last night and I am using that at the moment without a problem. It's a little on the small side, but it still works.

You're right that monitors do go on the blink. That monitor dates back to 2006 so it could be age that is effecting it. I've considered opening it up and looking inside, but I'm not sure about that.

I'd hate to throw that monitor out if I don't have to and that's why I'm asking about it. I know that it's a long shot with it, but I'd like to see if there is any way that I can save it and restore it back to the way that it was before. New monitors are expensive to buy and right now me and money are seriously at odds with each other. That's why I was hoping that maybe I might be able to fix it myself.

Like I said it was a trusty monitor and served me well until yesterday without a problem. I have not yet taken it apart and without knowing more about what might have caused it to do what it started to do I would have no solid base from which to work from that I troubleshoot. It would be nice if the problem turned out to be a small part that I could easily replace myself with a part from Radio Shack, but I'm not banking on that as that would not be very realistic thinking on my part. That's why I'm trying to be logical about and think of anything that might have caused the issued within the monitor itself.

I would do no less with any kind of other mechanical or electrical device as they are machines and usually with machines there is a rational, logical explanation for things going wrong with them and that can usually be found through standard troubleshooting tactics.

Whether we like it or not machines are a part of our everyday life and whether we like it or not they can and will give us trouble, but in 9 out of 10 cases there is a logical, rational reason for their behavior. Figuring it out though and solving the issue, however can be a challenge.

8. buffoon

buffoon

To keep it short, my knowledge of monitor inside is too limited to advise, respectively where to even start looking.

I'd personally take it for an estimate, decide whether projected repair spending might still be worthwhile or whether it's better to buy a new one.

Hopefully someone else might come up with an idea, I'll have to bow out here.

9. dai

dai

i have always worked on the principle of it being more economical to replace,unless you have a friend that repairs tv's

monitors are cheap compared to when you last bought

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094866