1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Box Blocking all ports

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joswoody, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joswoody

joswoody Thread Starter

I have an issue with virtual box as it is blocking all my ports when the adapter is set as bridged.

My OS is Windows 7 and the OS I am trying to connect to is Win 2k3 Server.

I made it bridged to be on the same LAN.

Can anyone help me how I can open ports and can be able to telnet for example port 80?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Blocking ports to the host computer?

3. joswoody

joswoody Thread Starter

cannot access a website which is hosted on the server hosted on the Virtual Box. if i telnet from my Windows to the Server on the virtual box it refuses to connect.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure I understand that second "hosted." Do you mean the "server" is a guest system running in VirtualBox? Assuming so, if you are being blocked when accessing from your LAN I'd assume it is a firewall doing the damage. If from outside your LAN then it could be firewall or incorrect port forwarding on the router(s).

5. joswoody

joswoody Thread Starter

All ports are blocked even for example 3389. All firewalls on both sides are disabled. The VM is installed on the same machine of where I am working (the windows 7). On my laptop I have virtual box installed (Win server 2003). When I try telnet for example port 80 and 3389 it denies to connects.

What could it be?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disabling a firewall often just makes it more ornery. What firewall? Best to enable it and make sure the desired port(s) is/are open.

I should add that I haven't done exactly what you are attempting, but with guest Windows systems I have done file sharing and used them as TeamViewer host and client, so don't see why the bridged virtual adapter would cause any blockage.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!