1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Box...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chris123456789, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris123456789

Chris123456789 Thread Starter

Hi,

Currently I am on my home network behind a typical BT router serving several computers.

On one PC, which has a wireless Ethernet connection and is running Windows 7 Home Edition I have installed VirtualBox.
    Within virtual box I have installed one virtual PC, which is Windows Server 2003. I wish to add Active Directory etc to my virtual server PC to turn it into a domain controller, but for the life of me I cannot connect my virtual Windows Server 2003 to my home network or the internet. When I tried loading Active Directory I could not because it said the virtual PC has no IP address assigned to it.

Can somebody please help me out? I am fine with programming but when it comes to IP addresses, subnet masks, DNS servers I come unstuck. Within my virtual PC when I type ipconfig/all at the cmd prompt there are no details at all!

How do I create a connection for my virtual server 2003?

Thanks!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You do know what VirtualBox has its own forum.
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/

I don't personally use VirtualBox but I know there are a few people on the forum that do. Hopefully they will be able to solve your issue.

3. Chris123456789

Yeah I know VB has it's own forum but it seems seldom frequented.

Hopefully someone on here can help!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What are your Network Settings (see attached). More to the point, is at least one Adapter enabled? How is it configured?

Attached Files:

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

In your virtual machine, choose Devices > Network Adaptors. Then choose Bridged Adapter. This will make the virtual machine a member of your router's network.

However, be sure that you don't join your host PC to the Active Directory. Because you start the host PC before you can start your virtual server, and the host PC won't find any Active Directory until the guest server vitual box is started.

6. Chris123456789

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies, unfortunately it is still not working.

I don't know whether the fault lies with the host operating system, as when I go into Network Connections on Windows 7 the virtual box connection is there and there are IP address settings for the connection but no gateway address is entered. Also there is some kind of bridge adapter option that was originally unchecked, so I checked it, but it still did not work.

As I said before, the host operating system lists the 'virtual box host only network' as a connection but along side it says 'No Network Access'!

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thank's!

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to select "Bridged". Once you do that, restart the guest, and check the IP settings. It should have Internet access and access to other computers on your network.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

In your Virtual Machine window, there are 2 layers of menus, The upper layer belongs to Virtual Box. From there, choose Devices > Network Adaptors. Then choose Bridged Adapter. This is NOT found inside Windows Networking.

9. Prizzbone

Prizzbone

Before you get to far, are all of your other computers running Professional or Enterprise? If they are running home, you won't be able to join a domain and utilize Active Directory anyways.

I ask because the computer you are running VB on is XP Home.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062425