1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Box

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tonyacardo, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I want to install some VM ware on my computer. I have a program that takes over the desktop when I use it. If I installed Virtual Box would it allow me to run the program from it and still access the desktop?

More questions:

Can I just do this by creating another user on my machine and logging back in as the other user?
    Will Virtual Box be able to access my internet connection? A search of the forum said it wouldn't work with Mac's. My machine runs XP.

Also, I have Ubuntu. So I would like to play with it on the virtual machine. Does it have an emulator or something that would let me run all of my programs that were designed for XP.

Is Virtual Box even the right answer. Is there something better I should be thinking about?

Anyway this is too many questions.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

2. letchworth

letchworth

Someone much more knowledgeable than I will have to correct me or add to my start. However, I have used Virtual Box under PCLinuxOS and under XP. Virtual Box is software that creates a virtual computer under your present OS. By saying that your computer is currently running XP, I would think that you could install the VirtualBox software under XP- then you could run another OS within the VirtualBox. VirtualBox takes care of communicating with the hardware and gives you an environment within which your new OS only "thinks" it is on a hardware computer. Very slick, really.

I ran it on a dual-boot situation: On the XP side, I ran several Linux distributions. On the Linux side I ran the Linux version of VB and installed XP with several programs under XP. It has been several months now- so my memory might be flawed, but as I recall, there was some limitation as far as USB connections, so my scanner didn't work within "virtual-XP" [my main reason for wanting VirtualBox].

A plus for VB is that I could use it to connect to the internet within a virtual environment enjoying Linux's relative security- on the XP side of my dual-boot. [so the answer to that part of your question is very positive- Yes]. So I used Linux for web surfing and XP for programs utilizing hardware not compatible with my version of Linux. There is a shared folder- where information can be passed from one OS to another.

I'm sure they have progressed far beyond where I was- like I said, others can correct or add to what I have begun here.

One note- as I understand it, Microsoft considers a Virtual Machine another opportunity to sell a license. You can't use a license form another machine or even from the same physical machine unless your particular license allows use on multiple machines. But installing Linux within XP is no problem (as long as the hardware will support it).

Good luck as you pursue this- I found it great fun (with a lot of help from the kind people at the PCLinuxOS forum). If I could have gotten my current scanner to work with it within Linux, I would be using it right now- XP seemed so "smooth" under PCLinuxOS.
    letchworth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice