Virtual Dub

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wannabeadri

Hi!
I used to use Virtual Dub some years ago but I totally forgot how, and I was wondering if maybe i can get some tips: for instance, when i try to open an .mpg, i get the error message "MPEG import filter: pack synchronization error". The vid is good, I've seen it, its 65 mb and comes from a digicam, and I would like to shrink it. Do i use a divx compression? Any special configuration? As far as i remember, i should mostly change the audio quality, too, right?

Thanks a lot

wannabeadri

Ok, thanks, now I dont get the error MPEG message anymore. But I still dont know exactly how to shrink it. Can someone tell me the main steps please?

Oh, there is a filter called resize------------that should do it---just find it in your filter add list.

wannabeadri

uhm.. yes, and what next? i dont remmeber how to convert...
and perhaps someone knows how to shrink the video not only by resizing, but also by audio modyfing... I'd like to try both ways.

wannabeadri

oh... maybe i was misunderstood: i dont want to shrink the resolution, i meant the size... to make it be less than 65 mb

Okay, you are confusing me. Do you avi files that you want to convert to MPEG's or do you have an MPEG file that you want to compress? If you already have MPEG files, then you need to recompress them ( you will lose lots) by chosing the filter and then picking a much slower bit rate--this will of course make the files smaller but you will take a quality hit.

I'm not sure what you mean by shrinking the video by audio modyfing. I assume you want a lower sample rate?

wannabeadri

I have MPG files that I want to compress in size(mb). I understand that by trying to do that I damage the quality, but I remember having done it before, and the result was not bad... Mainly, what I want is a 60 mb vid reduced to 30 maybe...
By audio modifying I mean: Audio->Compression->I choose a Divx and then 16kbps in stead of 48 maybe...

Yes, that should do it for the audio, but you wont see huge savings there---where you will see them it is on compression of the video.

wannabeadri

OK, and how do i do video compression? pleeeeease tell me the options and what do i press to finish it(do i have to do a playback???)

Video > Full Processing mode > Choose Encoder. I use divx pro, which gives many options for bitrate etc. If you don't have that there should be some built in codecs you can use. As far as what bitrate to use... check File > File Information for info on the current bitrate. Also take note of audio frequency/ bitrate. You will want to go into Audio > Full Processing Mode and encode the audio (I use mp3, again, have to get the right codec to encode at good quality... can't tell you where to get that... ) I'd recommend keeping the frequency the same or divide by 2 (44000 hz can be changed to 22000 hz if you are not worried about quality and want to save space). Bitrate can be lowered... depends on your preference... Hope this helps. Might want to check out guides at doom9.org for more detailed info.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online