1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual HDD Question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jeremy39, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeremy39

jeremy39 Thread Starter

I've created a virtuall HDD ( a partition ) in Win 8.1, named it and assigned it a drive letter. I have created both a cd and USB ISO. I've researched and followed instructions on how to disable UEFI. When I change the boot order in BIOS to either the USB or CDROM the PC still boots straight to Win 8.1 and does not give the install option. What did I miss?

2. trogdo

trogdo

Can you not start the CD from within Windows?

3. jeremy39

jeremy39 Thread Starter

No. Its an ISO image and I do not want to install it over my working Windows 8.1.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't use an ISO directly, you need to extract or burn the ISO, an ISO is a container.

What exactly are you trying to do?

A virtual hard drive is not a partition, did you create a new partition for this install?

5. jeremy39

jeremy39 Thread Starter

Well, there's my problem. I intended to create a separate partition and I stupidly assumed that the VHDD was the same thing in Windows 8 terms. So, now to remove the virtual drive and create a partition. Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice