Virtual Machine on Vista Host - Slow Disk Access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

glenikins

Hi there,
I've just installed a virtual machine (running XP Pro) onto my Vista machine. The Vista machine has a USB external hard drive attached. When trying to access the data on this hard drive from within the virtual machine (via the bridged network link between the virtual machine and the host) it is incredibly slow. I've tried moving the USB hard drive to another PC on the network (running XP Pro) and accessing it from the XP Pro virtual machine on the first PC, and this works fine. I'd be very grateful for any help or ideas!
Glen

Have you tried using a different port? Could be a slow port.

maybe trying towing down some resources? disabling areo on vista maybe?

glenikins

Thanks for the reply. The disk is in a USB2.0 port, and works fine when accessing it from the host OS. The host machine is a pretty powerful one - Intel CoreDuo E8600 3.33GHz with 8GB RAM (it's the 64-bit version of Vista) so I don't think it's a machine resource problem.

fairnooks

Banned
Have you tried VMware Player for the virtual controller? I had good luck setting up externals on Vista as shares through a virtual NIC, though sometimes the virtual NIC interferred with the real one and had to be disabled from time to time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online