Virtual machines and linux iso distro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jayy4567

How would I run a linux .iso distro in Virtualbox on my pc desktop without using a dvd,usb stick or partioning my c drive?

thank you

Johnny b

John
It's been a few years since I used VirtualBox.
Basically, VirtualBox creates the ability for running a virtual OS (a guest) from within a host os.

If your host is MS Windows, you would install Virtualbox just as you would any other application.
From an open VirtualBox window, you could then choose the Linux distribution, as an iso on a CD/DVD or USB drive, to build a virtual drive with that Linux os on it.

You do not need to do any partitioning of your C drive.
Everything you built is 'virtual'.

This way with VirtualBox, you can run both your MS Windows and Linux at the same time.
Personally, I prefer separating the two in order to reduce potential problems.
I run a Live version of Linux from a USB flash drive with Win 10 on the hard drive.

If you use Win 10, there is now the option to run Linux from within with out having to instal VirtualBox.

Using the search terms "run linux on windows 10"

https://www.google.com/search?clien...CAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

I haven't tried it and probably won't because of my earlier comment.
Something goes wrong with Win 10, like an update or malware, Linux might get broken.

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:

mohittomar13

Mohit Tomar
You actually don't need to have any DVD, CD Drive in order to run Linux or for that matter any other OS on VirtualBox as all the hardware is virtualised. Just install VBox, create a new machine and then edit settings of that machine to run the required OS.

Here is a screenshot from my VirtualBox. I use it to test various Linux and Windows OS.

1591084750070.png

1591084968795.png

1591085127694.png

1591085408785.png

You also get these options when you create a new Machine in VBox

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online