Virtual memory being gobbled up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nigelum

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with a couple of computers at my workplace. Both systems seem to have the virtual memory gobbled up when they are idle. I get a warning that the virtual memory is less than 100Mb....then it gets lower and lower. I also get delay wright failures on any application that opens up (IE, task mamager). I've ran several tests, all of which came up in the clear....the tests included:
  • SFC
  • Spyware and virus
  • chkdisk (standard and through)
  • defraged
  • ran security task manager.....no unusual processes dectected
  • Hijack this....again, no unusual processes

Both systems are exactly alike in reguards to make, model, and added hardware. Since these are public computers, I've had hard drive locks installed (hardware), that puts the system back to its origional state upon reboot.

I'm at a loss.

For each computer provide this when the problem seems to be happening:

COMMIT CHARGE

Do ctrl-alt-del to open up the task manager. Select the "performance" tab. Let me know what you see under:

Physical Memory

Total: this is your total installed ram -- "physical" memory
Available: this is the amt of real "physical" memory presently uncommitted

Commit Charge

Total: this is the combination of total physical and virtual memory currently in use
Limit: this is the total physical and virtual memory available
Peak: this is the most you have had in use in this session

>> also open the Task Manager and look at the processes tab. The VM column (enable it if necessary in View > columns) will give you a clue as to which processes is holding the most memory.

>> you can increase the amount of virtual memory available. I would probably double it.

System Propertis (run sysdm.cpl) > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > change

>>By the way, are any "screen savers" in use when idle?

Attachments

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Do the 2 PCs have HP printers attached.

I saw a post on another board that "seemed" to be implicating them. Specifically a couple of apps that get installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online