1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual memory Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trag, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

New error for me today. I'm running Windows XP, and when I logged into my account I had a message in the system tray saying that I had run out of virtual memory, and that the page file size was increased. I don't know what caused this since nothing out of the ordinary was happening prior to that. Any help would be apreciated. The max pagefile size is now 700 or so.

Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This is just Windows optimising itself.
    Mine settled down at 800+ MB.
    Windows uses it to swap between programs, keeping RAM free for tasks that need the speed.

You can manually specify it, but I don't bother, HDD space is plentiful.

3. scmazter

scmazter

If this happens, you might not have enough memory. I mean, windows itself only needs 128 mb of memory, it sounds very strangle for windows to set that higher unless you have less then 128 mb of memory.
    If you have anti-virus software try updating it and scanning for virsues, oif you don't use housecall .
    Also I recommend haveing a lot of virtual memory. Espeically if you want to use memory intensive games. Mine is over 1 gb.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The amount of virtual memory allocated by Windows may be influenced by the amount of RAM, but its not the overall factor.

The number of programs run concurrently would be a larger factor.

I have 512 MB of DDR RAM, on a 2 GHz P4
    I have no Virii, up to date AV software, and I am behind a hardware firewall. I am happy with my VM setting, and as you have noted some memory intensive programs need large amounts of VM.

Also I would point out to Trag that its not an "error" message, only an "advisory" message. There is nothing wrong.

5. scmazter

scmazter

Actually, if win XP needs more memory then 128 mb, then there is something wrong.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I am typing this on a 256 MB XP system.
    Only IE is open, plus task manager and AV.
    Of the 256 MB, 66 is unused.

It is using only 142 MB of swapfile, which is probably OK, as no concurrent apps are open...why it needs that now is another question, but this machine has never exceeded 400 MB PF

This machine used to run 128 MB RAM. Actually "run" is not the word. It "walked" on XP with 128 MB.
    Quite stable, but like stirring thick porridge with a thin stick.

Moving to 256 helped a lot, but I have found that 192 is also quite OK for normal office type use with XP. I could notice little difference between 192 and 256 on similar machines (I have 7 in the business).

512 is good for intensive graphics use, otherwise not needed.

7. Trag

Trag Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, but I still don't know what happened since the only thing that was being done on the computer before I got there was my brother playing a game he's already played plenty of times.

Thanks

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The computer monitors the use of the swapfile. It (possibly) alters the size depending on the number of times it gets more that a % full, and adjusts. Its normal, the default size is quite low.

The game would use a lot of swapfile, depending on levels.

This issue is normal, however if it bugs you so much, you can specify max and min sizes. Then you will get an error if it cannot operate within your settings though.

9. pgriffet

pgriffet

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice