1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

virtual memory is low

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by merrym, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. merrym

merrym Thread Starter

I have a compaq Presario 2170US computer. Windows xp Home edition. A box pops up with the following message: Windows- Virtual memory minimum too low. Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may denied. For more Information see help Do I need to get more memory???? Thanks Merry

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Probably, but you may be getting low on disk space as well.

There's a fair chance you're just running too many applications.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    According to HP/Compaq, the Compaq Presario 2170US has 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD (hard drive) and Windows XP Home. Now Windows XP needs about 256MB to run smoothly. When the RAM is used up, it will turn to the virtual memory. Virtual memory is a dedicated area of the hard drive that is used like memory, but this will slow down your machine. Now if your hard drive is close to full capacity, then you have a problem.

Adding more memory to your machine would be the first and recommended solution. Your machine can only handle 1GB of memory (2x 512MB). The type you need are PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM. Click here for prices in the US. The cheapest listed is $38.99 each and $4.99 delivery. Note that there are 1GB SO-DIMM modules, but they will not work (according to the manufacturer).

Alternatively, you can increase the virtual memory by right clicking on My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance - Settings button > Advanced tab > Virtual memory Change button. But first make sure that you have enough space. If you have ~1-2GB of free hard drive space, then you should look into archiving your files and removing unecessary files and programs.

4. merrym

merrym Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. Merry I hope to rectify thi s problem

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It may help if you also disable any unecessary progams in your Startup, like media programs.

6. merrym

merrym Thread Starter

thThank you for your response, I will be checing into the disc space , Merry

7. merrym

merrym Thread Starter

Thank you, What do you mean by media programs, I found that I had a flu tracker that was running, I believe that I disabled that Merry

8. merrym

merrym Thread Starter

thank you also, Rumpo-Stilskin, Merry

9. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Please use a configuarator before joining the hoardes of ijnco0mpatible ram failures on this forum every day.....if you intend to add ram, and be aware this will be your greatest challenge to do properly.
    www.crucial.com,kingston.com or corsair.com

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Rich-M, I have already done that and gave him the information. I would not give him false information.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sorry I have been having a problme lately where url's posted for newegg will not open for me on any pc, so I could not check that.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    even the one i posted? interesting...

But on your note about kingston / crucial etc... to add to that

Merry: Kingston, Crucial, and Corsair are the major brands in memory. Crucial was selling the 512MB memory on thier site at about $80. I would suspect that Corsair and Kingston are in the same area price wise. Most cheap memory are good to use but sometimes lack something, whether if is effiecency or reliability.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I cannot figure it out but Newegg url's will not come up on any of my pc's all of a sudden. They hang forever and go nowhere regardless of browser I use.
    Crucial has been on a kick to go back to being "the cheapest on the block" lately and their prices are better than they were for a while.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice