Virtual memory problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Turniphead

Hi Guys

My PC freezes even when I have tried to re-load windows XP Pro. Also when the machine starts up it says it has no virtual memory - has anyone got any ideas what is wrong with the PC and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

Could you be a bit more specific when it comes to "reloading windows XP"?
Did you try to reinstall windows xp over an existing xp?
If you did try to do that have you tried an acctual "clean install"?
When it comes to virtual memory it's possible that it's set to 0. Check it out by right clicking on the " My Computer" and choosing Properties from the drop down menu then choosing "Advanced" tab and in the new window that shows up clicking on the "Advanced" tab. Once you are in the " Advance Options" check out the "Virtual memory" and particulary the "Total pagining file size for all drives". If that value is 0 then click on CHANGE button then insert in "Initial size " and "Maximum size " a value of 768 ( for starters anyways).
If that doesn't solve the problem it's possible that this message comes from some other program. Might wanna increase the size as mentioned above or see which program "whines" about it , using the msconfig ( as in stoping programs from loading at startup)
HTH

Turniphead said:
Hi Guys

My PC freezes even when I have tried to re-load windows XP Pro. Also when the machine starts up it says it has no virtual memory - has anyone got any ideas what is wrong with the PC and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance
Let's try this:

Right click on 'My Computer' and go to properties

Click on the Advanced tab

Under the Performance section click on Settings

Click on the Advanced tab

At the bottom of this window it should tell you how much memory is being used for Virtual memory. Assuming it's 0, click on the change button.

Now choose the radio button that states 'System Managed Size'

See if that works.

Finally, what exactly do you mean by reload windows? Does this mean that you are reinstalling it?

If so be sure that when you do you are deleting your partitions, recreating them and reformatting it before you do the reinstall.

Last but not least check all of your physical connections inside and outside of your PC to make sure everything is connected.

Finally, what are the specs of your pc? processor? memory etc.

Thanks,

JFresh

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online