1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Memory Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by suzyteaser, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suzyteaser

suzyteaser Thread Starter

My computer keeps alerting me that my virtual memory is low. As a result, my system loads extremely slow and I have to force a shut down when I'm ready to quit. I did a ctrl-alt-delete to view my processes and it appears that my scanning processes are 80K of memory. Next in line is internet explorer using 50K. Can anyone help me correct this problem? It's killing me. Thanks!

2. ich

ich

Usually indicates low disk space unless someone's manually set the swap file size. How much free space do you have on the hard drive?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Suzy:

When you open the Windows Task Manager, how many processes are listed?

How much RAM is in your computer?

What size is the hard drive and how much free space is there?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. hrlow2

hrlow2

Hey suzyteaser. Try going to computer properties,Advanced,Advanced. At bottom of box is adjuster for virtual memory. Try taking that up a notch or 2.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Leave virtual memory set to system managed size.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2

I know that before I installed a 160Gb HD ,I had 20Gb that came in machine with 512Mb RAM. Increasing paging file in virtual memory in system properties kept machine from slowing down. Helped mine. Now,lets see. 16039 posts in 6 1/2 years comes to almost 7 posts each and every single day with no time off. Doesn't exactly make expert class.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

There is absolutely no need for your insulting posting. If you wish to continue posting here, I would highly suggest that you review the forum rules.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2

Apologies to flavalee, but increasing page file helped me with low HD space and low memory. Some newer programs can be real memory hogs,taking everything that they can, which can slow down until system catches up. Sorry flavalee.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Increasing the page file size can't possibly help you with low hard disk space, since it would take more space for the paging file! That statement makes no sense at all.

In almost all cases, tinkering with the system managed virtual memory size doesn't solve this kind of issue.

I'd consider staying around for enough time to get to know the players before forming opinions of them. ;)

Oh, and I probably have lots more than 7 posts a day, and I can assure you that there a lot more people that come here that have been helped by my postings than have been helped by yours. :)

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you have set a static pagefile size that is too low, and you run a memory intensive program, you have the potential to get Out of Memory errors.
    That is why it is recommended to leave the setting at System Managed which gives windows access to the entire free space on the drive, if required.

Out of curiousity, how did increasing your pagefile size result in helping you with low disk drive usage?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    hrlow2:

After spending almost 34 years(before I retired) in a job where I was on the receiving end of verbal and physical abuse on a daily basis, I don't offend easily.

I've been given consideration by the Moderators for a gold shield, and I've turned down that offer because I don't consider myself "expert" enough. I have a lot of computer experience, and most of it is self-taught and learned, but I'm by no means an "expert".

My current 16,042 posts doesn't taken into account that the majority of the threads that I reply to are replied by me more than once. The TSG counter gives you credit for 1 reply for each thread and not for every reply that you make. If that was the case, my counter would read well over 50,000.

-------------------------------------------------------------

suzyteaser:

Are you still monitoring your thread? We've had no reply from you since your original post. Can you answer my questions in post #3?

-------------------------------------------------------------

12. WhitPhil

Frank: FYI the counter is for every post made.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    WhitPhil:

You're right. I stand corrected.

I've always thought that we were credited 1 for each thread that we replied to. I just noticed after I replied to you in this thread that my count increased from 16,042 to 16,043.

Oops! :rolleyes:

14. suzyteaser

suzyteaser Thread Starter

Hey guys! I apologize; however, I'm new to the site and didn't realize that I was starting a forum discussion. To answer favallee question, I see 34 possesses.

15. WhitPhil

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Performance (Settings button) > Advanced Tab > Virtual Memory
    Select the Change button

Is Custom selected?
    If so, what are the Initial and Maximum sizes?

If not Custom, then System Managed is set??

At the bottom, what are the values for Recommended and Currently Allocated?

From Explorer, browse to the root of the C:\ drive.
    Is there a file call Pagefile.sys present?
    (hidden file so ensure that Show hidden is selected in options)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!