Virtual Memory Size

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alder343

VIRTUAL DISK ????

Have not heard of a VIRTUAL DSK before.

Wifes PC 3-4 yrs old has, Processor Intel 450 MHz, MS Win 2000 Pro OS, MS Office 2000,
256 RAM, 3 ½ floppy, One CD drive and two hard drives.
C: HD is 7.84 GB, WDC WD84AA, (1GB free space)
D: HD is 4.01 GB local fixed disk, WDC AC24300L, (4.01 free space.)
(both drives are FAT 32)

She needs additional space on drive C:
I have tried to copy files from the C: dive to the D: drive to no avail

Partition Magic is installed. And it treats the Virtual Drive as a separate HD.

I thought I could use Partition Magic to merge about 2GB of the D: drive with the C: drive but Partition Magic will not do it.

I’ve read all the help files on Managing Computer memory, Change the size of the virtual memory paging etc.

I have initial size and maximum size set to zero but the virtual disk still takes up 4.1 GB.

How does one reduce the size of the virtual memory disk???

It seems to me that if I could change the virtual memory disk to say 1 GB that would give us 3GB more space on drive C: ??

You should not set the Virtual memory to zero! When you open the VM management window you should see a value for each logical drive.

for example:

C:\pagefile.sys 400MB
D:\pagefile.sys 700MB

Basically, you do not need 1GB of VM for a system with 256MB RAM. At most 2 1/2 times RAM is sufficient. For a memory dump, you will need 267MB on the C drive, but if that is not an issue, then placing all the VM on D will improve performance a little.

Each drive is set individually (set C, then set D) and a reboot is required to effect the changes. NOTE: do not set the upper limit greater than the available space on either disk (including expected growth).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online