1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Memory?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by debs2411, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debs2411

debs2411 Thread Starter

I keep getting this alert message saying "Windows-Virtual memory minimum to low- Your system is low on virtual memory, windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory request for some applications may be denied, For more info see help.'
    I'm not really sure what that means. But what "help" am I suppost to be seeing? Also what can i do to keep from seeing this message again. i see it about every 3 or 4 days. can i expand my file or what do I have to do. Is that too many questions/

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Perhaps if we knew what version of Windows you are running, and the amount of RAM you have installed we could comment with some intelligence.

3. debs2411

debs2411 Thread Starter

So sorry, I thought I had it posted. My mistake. Windows xp home. , Intel Celeron II, 566 MHz, System memory-96MB. is there anything else i need to post?

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi debs2411,
    First of all your memory is very low for XP. It should be at least 128mb minimum, 256 mb is good but 512 mb is better.
    The 566mhz is adequate but 800 or more is better to run XP.
    If you right click My Computer, properties, advanced, performance.
    Click on change.
    Make sure the Virtual memory is 96 - 192. But as I said I think you need to increase your memory.

5. mstine

mstine

I have XP and mine is set for 382 but lately I have been getting a message that my virtual memory is low.

6. debs2411

debs2411 Thread Starter

It says it set at 179mb. Can I change it myself? :rolleyes:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!