virtual memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bilibom

Banned
I have win xp pro sp2

How much virtual memory do i set?
Leave win manage it? Put 1.5 or 2.5 times?
So far my system has the same(2GB).
Is this the reason my picture "sticks" in games?

Windows normally automatically does a good job managing it. To fix the problem I would add more memory and maybe reduce the number of Startup items, which can eat up memory resources. Run MSCONFIG to clean up the Startup items.

bilibom

Banned
So... u believe that 2GB r not enough memory and I need to add more?...
I have no startup problem.
Its obvious u didnt understand my thread.
When u say"to fix the problem" for which problem u r talking?

The stick in games can be lag on the server (too busy or other network congestions) or your video card (if it shares memory with the other system resources) commonly called "on-board" or Shared.

Dollars, get a high end video card if your really into games.

If you have 2G of memory, you can probably set the virtual mem (or pagefile) to 0, as it's unlikely you will use up the 2G of ram...however, if you are a gamer, or do a lot of graphics, the 1.5 x is the best, orlet windows handle it.

As for the 'picture "sticks" in games', that is probably either your video card does not have enough onboard memory, or your internet connection is slow, so 'lagging' the game.

Scorp.

bilibom

Banned
I want firstly expess my :eek: because one thread of mine was received answers...:rolleyes: (I have other 3 which answers stopped).

@Sequal 7,
I m not talking for online games.
My card is not "shared" or onboard.(geforce6600gt)

@CS.Scorpion,
so, u dont know how much virtual memort should i set.
How can I see how much onboard memory has my card, what is the right number and how can i set it so.

I believe the 6600 has 126Mb memory, and that cannot be changed, unless you buy a new card.

And set your virtual memory to 1.5 x @G, so 3.0Gb

Scorp.

bilibom

Banned
My 6600gt agp8X has 128MB.
I dont know why but PcPitStop tells me that i have..."low video performance" I asked them why but couldnt explain it.
So, u tell me set virtual memory at 3072MB..Initial & maximum? Some1 else told me set it 2.5 times(4500MB).XP themselves set it to 2048MB although they suggest me put it at 3GB(!).
About "sticking picture" u can read my thread at Games-Losing frames...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online