1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patti9, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

My pc is slow to load pages sometimes and I've been advised to increase the virtual memory. I have checked to see what memory I have and It says 448MB RAM. I wonder of someone could please help me with this? I have no idea what to do on this one. many thanks.. :)

2. techychick

techychick

Are you getting virtual memory errors?

What are your computer specs?

3. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

No I'm not getting any virtual memory messages.. My specs are Windows XP Home edition, 1 gb HD. AMD Athlon 64 processor. 448 RAM.. Its only when I'm using Myspace, the pages can takes ages to load sometimes. Do you think extending the VM will help?

4. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

virtual memory refers to the pagefile allocated by windows within your hard disk, not your ram.

first make sure you have enough free space in the partition you want to allocate virtual memory.
    right click on "my computer". go to Properties > Advanced tab > Settings under "performance" > Advanced tab> Change under " virtual memory"

select the partition you want to increase/decrease Virtual memory from. check custom size, enter your desired value then click "set" . restart your computer.

PS: i would recommand letting windows manage you virtual memory for you tho.

5. techychick

techychick

That could be due to the amount of ram you have installed, not virtual memory. I'm confused by your specs tho'..

Right-click My Computer>Properties>General tab where it gives you information about the size of the hard drive and what operating system you use to find the amount of RAM

Also, do you get the same results using another browser?

6. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

I'm not too sure what I'm doing here, when you say I should make sure I have enough free space in the partition.. what exactly am I looking for here? I probably need a step by step explanation please, sorry about this...

7. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

This is what it says:-
    MS XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Ser vice Pack 2

Compaq Presario
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+

220 GHz 448 RAM I'm using IE 6 and all seems fine with this browser. It just seems to be Myspace that's causing the problems.. I'm assuming its because of all the traffic and resources? Thanks for all your help and advice so far.

8. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

ok, you have prolly reported your spec wrong cos a 1 gb hdd is effectively obsolete.

click start and go to "run" . in the field that appears, type "dxdiag" without the quotes. under "system Information". see the line that says "pagefile :" just under "memory". what are the amounts there, pagefile and memory.

on a side note,the slow loading of your webpages is prolly due to you internet connection, or the server. i don't think decreasing or increasing your virtual memory will do you any good.try using diff browsers.

9. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Yes sorry (made a mistake with 1BG) I think its more like 40.. Under Page file is says:- 512 used 540MB available. I checked with my ISP 'Orange' and they say its 8MB (in the icon tray it says 100mbps.. I dont know if this is relevant? thank you very much for your help.. :)

10. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

hi patti9, i see that you have more then 1gb a pagefile allocated. for surfing that is more then sufficient. and your internet speed is 8mbps which is fast enough to load myspace under a second.

if the page loading problem only occur when you're visiting myspace. its prolly the servers so there's nothing much you can do except wait and see if its ok again in a couple of hours or so.

if its slow for every other site, visit http://www.speedtest.net/ and check whether you are given the speed promised to you by your isp.

PS: the 100mbps in the icon tray is pretty much irrelevant :)

11. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your kind help - much appreciated. I agree with you about Myspace - and it only happens sometimes...other sites load very quickly usually. Could you please explain why you think the 100 mbsp is irrelevant, I'm asking out of curiosity and would like to learn more about these things. Kind Regards. Patti

12. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Hopefully you are spyware free... do you know how to protect yourself from spyware/virus's?

13. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Hi there. Yes I am totally spyware free.. I have a lot of security and run checks frequently. Regards, Patti

14. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi,

The 100Mbs icon is propably indicating the LAN (local area network) speed. This translates to the speed between your computer and your modem/router, not the speed between your modem/router and the ISP servers. :)

15. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Oh, I see, thanks for explaining that to me.... :) Have a good weekend..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!