1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual PC 2007 Shared folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by riversr54, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riversr54

riversr54 Thread Starter

I am running Virtual PC 2007 on a Vista Platform. Everything is good with the exception of setting up shared folders. I have three guest PCs running. I have installed Virtual Machine Additions on all three. I am able to set up and access a shared folder on the host system on one of the three with no problem but the other two refuse to access any shared folder. When I configure the shared folder, it shows up in the guest PC under MyComputer, but it shows as "disconnected" and is inaccessible.

I had this same config working just fine when Windows 2003 was the host platform, but can't get it to work with Vista as the host. Is it a Vista problem?

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Don't think I can help you, have only run 2000 in XP with VPC. Didn't do any networking/sharing with it. Sounds like a config problem on the host, but I really don't have a clue. I am curious as to why you need to run the virtual machines and what are you running in them?

3. riversr54

riversr54 Thread Starter

I'm working on getting my MCSE cert(for the second time). Using virtual pc's is an easy way to emulate multiple servers and clients for learning scenarios.

4. shinybeast

shinybeast

Gotcha, I did what I did to learn a bit about 2000. I had never really used it, held onto 98SE for a looong time then bought XP at SP2 level. Looks like you got some research/experimenting to do to if no one else comes along and can help you out. This will give it a bump. Good luck.

5. riversr54

riversr54 Thread Starter

I found the solution. Apparently the problem is with the depth of the folder that I was trying to share. I was sharing a folder that was 7-8 levels deep. I created a new folder at the top level of the C drive and shared it. That works just fine for all servers with one small caveat. On Vista the share works but it shows as being "disconnected", clicking on it works in spite of the fact that it reports as being disconnected. I found a comment somewhere on the web reporting that same problem so that must just be a quirk in Vista.

Otherwise...all is good...

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm curious, are all the Guest OS's Vista too ? 32 bit Host and Guests ?

7. riversr54

riversr54 Thread Starter

Host: Vista
    Guests: Windows 2003, Windows XP and Vista, one of each.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for replying :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!