1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual PC hard drive (lock parent hard drive)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by drc1, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drc1

drc1 Thread Starter

Hello --

I have installed Win7 Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. The resulting default virtual hard drive is a differencing drive set up on the host (parent) drive C:.

The help file states, "Important - We recommend that you write-protect or lock the parent disk before using the differencing disk. Otherwise, if the parent disk is modified by some other process, any differencing disk related to it becomes invalid, and all data written to the differencing disk is lost."

What modifications to the parent disk does this refer to? For example, should I be concerned about
    - Installing new software?
    - Defragmenting?
    - Changing the partition size?
    - What other modifications?

Thanks.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The safest thing to do is use a FIXED size virtual drive especially on the host C drive.
    ANYTHING writing to the host could corrupt a differencing disk. I've seen cases where even a very careful user got hit when an email arrived.
    I always partition the drive and put all virtual drives on the separate partition.

3. drc1

drc1 Thread Starter

Is there a way to convert the differencing drive into a fixed drive? (I don't yet have anything on this drive.)

If not, can I just delete the differencing drive and then create the fixed drive?

4. DaveBurnett

Yes to both, but do the second one. Also I suggest you de-fragment the C drive before you do it so that the Virtual disk stands a better chance of getting contiguous space which vastly improves performance.

5. drc1

drc1 Thread Starter

How can I get a fixed drive that is bootable?
    I tried creating the fixed drive as follows:
    - Right click on the virtual machine, then click Settings.
    - Click on Hard Disk 1, then Create.
    - Create the fixed hard drive in an unused partition (F) on the host drive.
    - The previous differencing virtual drive then disappears (apparently replaced by the new fixed drive on F). Windows Explorer shows "X220 XP mode (1).vhd" (29 GB) on F.

Then when I try to start XP mode I get a message: "Cannot start Windows XP mode. One or more required files are either missing or not valid. Do you want to create a new Windows XP environment?"
    When I click Create I get a message: "Could not enable integration features."
    When I click Continue the XP mode window appears but its screen is black (like a cmd window) with a DOS-like message, "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device".

So it appears that the fixed drive that I created is not bootable.

How should I proceed?
    Thanks.

6. DaveBurnett

I don't know XP mode from Win7. I only know about Virtualbox and VMware so I hope someone else will butt in.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice