1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual PC network settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kojy, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kojy

kojy Thread Starter

Hello everyone and happy holiday. I hope I am using the right forum to post my request.
    I installed Microsoft Virtual PC on Windows Vista and created 3 machines, here are the configuration of the machines:
    1. Windows Server 2003, Domain Controller running Active Directory, DNS and DHCP server.
    IP address 192.168.200.1
    Default Gateway: 192.168.200.2
    DNS: 192.168.200.1
    Only one NIC card and it is Local Only from the Virtual PC.

2. Windows Server 2003, member server running Routing and Remote access.
    IP address 192.168.200.2
    DNS: 192.168.200.1
    Default Gateway: I left this blank.
    This machine has two NIC cards,
    One is Local Only and the second NIC card is from the Host network.

3. Windows XP Professional,
    IP address, DNS settings is set to be from the DHCP server.

All the machines are running fine and connected to the network and even I connected them to the Internet through the second server which is the RRAS. The problem I am having I can ping all the computers by the IP address but I cannot PING the second server by the name. When i ping or try to resolve the names it resolve the name by going to the NIC card from the HOST. If I disable the second NIC card I can resolve the DNS problem but once I enabled back, I see the same problem happening again. Any idea what I did wrong in these settings? any help I greatly appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice