1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual Pc Reasons to use ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Zoom_Stat21, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zoom_Stat21

Zoom_Stat21 Thread Starter

I was pondering this and I couldnt come up with good reasons to do this but , what do you think would be some benifits to installing a virtual machine on your pc? Instead of having just install the regular way?

Any feedback would be much appreciated .

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look at www.virtualbox.org , Parallels Workstation, and VMWare, too.

The chief advantage is that you can run both at the same time. If you are a developer and want to try a program in 2 different OS's, you don't need to reboot. Or if you have a program that works in one but not the other, you have quick access to the program.

Also, if you are experimenting and want to try various operating systems, it is very easy to add or remove them without all the dangers of partitioning.

Rather than trying to transfer all my files, settings, and programs from my old XP machine to the new Vista one, I simply virtualized the old machine and can now run it in a window (or full-screen) on the new one.

3. Cyps

Cyps

Here are some reasons why I use a Virtual PC

Testing software
    If it brings down the Virtual PC or alters vital settings it doesn't harm your actual computer.

Older O/S
    Such as Win98 to run favourite older software which may not run well on XP or Vista

Personalised O/S
    You can have different tailor made versions of your O/S to suit your mood or requirements. For example you could have one for just graphic applications and another just for Microsoft Office or video work, another one just to use the internet and email etc. Separating applications like this means if you get problems in one area it won't affect other areas of your computing and again your actual computer doesn't get affected.

Other O/S like Linux

Using a virtual PC also means a dual boot computer and all the potential hassles can be considered redundant. There's my tuppence worth anyway, hope it gave you some ideas.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Isolation." That is a big one for some purposes, like surfing the internet wihout getting malware and viruses. You can make a snapshot of your virtual machine and restore it if it gets infected. But the big thing is the infection or crash is isolated to the virtual machine.

5. Cyps

Cyps

Yep Elvandil, I reckon Virtual PC's are good for everybody especially when you don't have to pay for some like Microsoft's version. I still prefer VMWare though, the latest incarnation is v6 and it's superb.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I like VMWare, too. I'm currently using VirtualBox for Ubuntu, and have Parallels Workstation installed, too. They all have their advantages, but XP runs perfectly and at a good speed in VMWare after being converted from an installation on my old machine.

Other virtualizers work well, too, and I have had very good luck with Qemu (but only with acceleration drivers). The point is that even if you can't afford VMWare, or want a Linux distro so can't use VirtualPC, there are a lot of alternatives. VirtualBox really gets better every week lately.

VMWare Converter 3.02 is now available and is freeware. It can convert a current installation, an Acronis image, some other images, and other VM's into a workable VMWare virtual machine. With the free converter and the free player, nothing else is really needed to use VMWare for no cost.

7. Zoom_Stat21

Zoom_Stat21 Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all of you help , I think I have an understanding now . I had previous knowlege on vm's but I didnt really grasp " Why would you wan to have one ? " So I appreciate all the feed back. :)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Fact is, they are easy to set up and even easier to remove. So if you have any interest in them at all, just give one a try. I'm really impressed by VirtualBox, especially for Linux. VirtualPC is the only one I know of that I haven't tried. I didn't see many good reports about it and many said it was slow. But since it's free, that is a major plus.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!