1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Virtual PC + Recover disc?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by KaIIen, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Alright, hoping someone here might have a suggestion for me.
    My laptop came preinstalled with XP Media Center. I purchased it right when Vista came out, so i also received a free Vista Home Premium upgrade.
    Now, I am not ready to deal with Vista as my native operating system, at least not until the SP is released and the bugs are worked out. SOOoooo, I decided I wanted to tool around with my VPC 2007, load Vista there, and check it out.
    Problem is this: The vista disk will only upgrade (understandably) the OS on this PC. So I tried to run the recover disk (that came with the PC) in the VPC. It's starts to load, but then pops up a huge box saying "WRONG MACHINE!".
    So how do I convince the recovery disc that it IS on the right machine? Thanks for the help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks for that info.
    Unfortunatly, this upgrade only install over the existing OS. There's no way to boot from the disc.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure, what disc is it that you've got? The regular Vista upgrade dics are bootable.

5. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Yeah, this isn't the regular Vista upgrade. This is from Toshiba, and will only work as a recovery/upgrade for Toshiba laptops. It's not bootable (I've tried), and has to run from inside XP. That's why i tried to install XP from the recovery disc in VPC...

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you may be out of luck then unless you have a regular Windows XP or Vista disc that you can use to first install an operating system in the VPC.

7. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I was afraid of that. This disc won't upgrade a "regular" install of XP, only the XP Media Center on a Toshiba laptop...
    Thanks for your efforts. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice