Virtual Private Network Adaptor Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Norton121

Hey Guys,

New to this post but I am dealing with a pretty pissed off Partner at my law firm where I am IT and I cant seem to figure out this problem. Client is trying to connect to the VPN of our network through his home PC (which I might add has a firewall) . He has Windows 98 SE and when we tried to add Microsoft Virtual Private Adaptor ....it added and you could see it listed under the Network components screen of Network Neighborhood but there was no message to insert the Win98SE CD-Rom which I have grown accustomed to seeing when adding the adaptor nor is there any signs of activity of files being copied over. When trying to connect through a dial-up networking icon created for the VPN adaptor .....it says "Dialing...." which should not be with a VPN adaptor but rather we should see "Connecting...." and after awhile I get an error message for Error 038(hope I am right on that.....was at work till 3 AM trying to figure it out....my mind was pudding) . Any advice would be greatly appreciated....hopefully there is a patch or something for this.Thanks Norton

Originally posted by Norton121
Hey Guys,

He has Windows 98 SE and when we tried to add Microsoft Virtual Private Adaptor ....it added and you could see it listed under the Network components screen of Network Neighborhood.....
How did you "add" the VPN adapter? Did you go through Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components>Select Communications (I believe) and scroll down to Microsoft Virtual Private Networking. Check the box and finish the wizard.

If you followed this procedure, check out Microsoft's Knowledge Base and try a search on Windows '98 SE and VPN. There's a number of possibilities and solutions.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/searchkb.asp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online