Virtual Serial to USB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bbaca

I've been looking a program that will emulate a serial port and put that data out a usb port. It's all Dell's fault since they decided my laptop has no need for serial connections anymore.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Are you trying to make a specific program work?

bbaca

Yeah, sorry I didn't specify. I need to get the ROM of the Palm I'm using so I can develop some apps and use the emulator (I can't lose all my appointments! :) ). Anyway, the program to load the ROM that runs on the PC only supports using serial ports (which is BS since they have been shipping them with USB connectors for years). Hence, I'd like a program to set up a virutal serial port that runs to a usb port.

P.S. I'm pretty sure this is possible since they have usb to serial and vice versa cables, but if I'm wrong let me know so I'll stop spinning my wheels. Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There are serial port emulators that plug into USB connections, I have an older one here. They don't work universally with all applications that require a serial port.

If you're talking about a USB connected device looking like a serial connection, that's another matter. I'd possible software wise, but I have no experience trying to make it happen. :)

bbaca

I'm going for the second idea. I'll keep looking, but in a less optimistic fashion. Thanks,

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
He's looking for a driver to fool an application connected to a USB device into thinking it's talking to a serial device. I don't hold out much hope... :)

Triple6

Rob
Oh my mistake, from his second post I thought maybe a serial port would work to connect his device and not require emulation.

I have had success using the cheap USB to Serial converters, with Palm applications.

While some applications refuse to accept the "virtual port" created, Palm stuff seems OK.

The problem with a software only application is that it cannot produce the data swing + and - that a true serial port (usually) needs, but the hardware adapter can do so easily.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
There are an enormous number of Engineering companies thoughout the world that have upgraded their field engineers laptops at enormous expense, only to suddenly realise that all the real time test/monitoring equipment they use need a TRUE serial port to work off.

bbaca

I guess I'll ahve to use a serial convertor. I'll just visit the folks and use their old pc (that I'm sure has a serial) and then send myself the rom. Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online